OK... Be gentle - New to 5 Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SteelPastor, Jun 28, 2005.

1. SteelPastor

Jun 27, 2005
    I have a two 5 String Ibanez Basses. They are both neck-thru models in 34" scale, I believe. I have been a guitar player most of my life and only began playing bass 4-5 years ago. I understand that the Ibanez short scale and thin neck approach has limitations, but they are what I currently have. I tend to like lighter strings (old habits die hard!).

Any recommendations on which 5 String maunfacturers and sets to start with?

Thank you in advance.
  2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Welcome to TalkBass! :)

About your question: The best I've tried are DR Strings Hi-Beams. Unfortunately I can't get them easily. You should give them a try.

BTW, a 34" scale bass is not a short-scale. That's the standard scale length for a BG.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    D'addario XL's are always a good starting place. They're almost always the cheapest brand in the store, and I think they sound great. However, not everyone agrees with me. And you may not either. All you can do is experiment until you find the strings you like.
  4. SteelPastor

Jun 27, 2005
    I have an sr885 and an sr1205. What gauges would you recommend?
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm pretty sure that every major string manufacturer that makes strings for a four-string makes strings for a five-string.

so, the decision, really, should be based on what you prefer.

(i prefer Dean Markley sr2000! :hyper: )
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Steel, if you like lights, you should get a set that starts with an .040. They make sets that start with a .035, but they're kind of weak sounding.
  7. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I played a SR1205 for years. I tried just about every brand on that bass. I found that Ken Smith round wound steels suited it best for my particular playing style, I used medium lights (.045-.125) and found them very player friendly. One thing though, I found that the B string sounded best when using a tapered string. I even replaced the pickups and the preamp. It was a great sounding instrument.
  8. SteelPastor

Jun 27, 2005
    Tapered string? Is this a 5 String deal? Fill me in.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Mostly a 5 string deal, but you can get them for all strings. The way strings are usually made, there's a core wire inside and the windings wrap around this core all the way up and down the string. With tapered strings, the windings stop before the ball end and the area that passes over the bridge saddle is the exposed core. Some people love them. I personally don't because I think it causes the string to wear out prematurely, not having windings around it.
  10. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    I have only had problems from using a tapered string.............
  11. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I disagree with the premature wear out comment, but then again, I guess it depends on the brand of strings. My OEM Dingwall strings are 6+ months old and still sound and feel great IMO. I'll know more when I change them out, but I'm not sure when that will happen as they seem to be fine. They're the same strings that came on it (it was used). I have some DR's I'm planning on trying, only because they are cheaper than the OEM's. However, if the originals consistantly sound great for this much time, I'll keep buying them as I like 'em.

My $.02...
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I suggest D'Addario XL strings. They're good quality and nicely priced. I've also had good luck with Smith Bass Burners... another nicely-priced nickel bass string.

I love tapered strings (particularly B and E) because to me they are easier to intonate. IME tapered strings last every bit as long as non-tapered.