Ok, compressors...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Ok, I know that the level out sound, and such, but what else? I'm looking to buy a DBX 266XL on ebay used, thanks.
  2. VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    The Behringer Composer Pro is better, and the same sort of price. (Only decent thing they make.) Also has an Expander/Gate and a Peak Limiter. If you find the Behringer site you can download a manual which explains how it works and what it does.
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

I second that.
  4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Awsome, thanks!! I'll look into that Berhinger, I just want to get something that will be good. Do a lot of you use them?
  5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    For one thing, you don't need 4 channels.
    All you need is a stereo 2 channel compressor.
    The Behringer MDX 2200 which has been the standard
    Behringer Compressor for at least the past 5 years
    has been replaced with the MDX 2600 XL, this would be the model
    I would recommend.

Place the Compressor in the Serial FX loop;
    If it's a Parallel FX Loop, set Blend to fully wet.

The settings I use are listed here.
  7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Thanks man. That looks like enough knobs to keep me busy :D ;). Do you have one, how well does it work?
  8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've been using an older MDX 2200 Composer a
    few years.

Works great on Bass because it has a 'low pass'
    filter that prevents the powerful lows from taking
    over the compression trigger.
    (know as the 'SC Filter')

Also the XLR output is active when using the
    1/4" I/O's in the FX loop, so a compressor
    DI tap is available from stage rig.
  9. Just out of curiosity, what's your budget?

The Behringer is all fine and good for a hundred bucks - I have one and plan on buying another for the studio. I love the way it craps out and messes up the signal when it's layed on. And I mean that in the best way possible.

Although, is anyone amazed by the attack time in recording applications?

Moving on...double the budget and an RNC, other DBXes, and a whole lot of used gear options open up.

Is Joe Meek liked much around here? I have yet to use mine on bass, but on guitars it can work...

Oh, and are you worried about recording or live?

Abbitittyhoo, I'm drifting a bit...

Get the Behringer if that's the budget. Avoid Alesis.

10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Well no. I just want a good compressor to get around christmas soon. Like I said about the DBX, I would be willing to get that even for $200 new (hopefully used) if it would last me a long time.
    I just want to get something that would be good to record, and live. thanks....
  11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Stephen, you want a compressor for bass?

Depending on how serious you are about your studio stuff, I would say you're talking different animals live vs. in the studio.

Live, I've tried everything under the sun, and the result of it is that I sound a lot better without any compression at all. When it's absolutely necessary, I use an EBS MultiComp. That's a little stompbox that goes for around 200 bucks.

For studio work, the best bass compressor I've found is the Urei LA-4. It's an optical unit, and it's got a very nice sounding audio path. A silverface LA-4 will cost about 500 bucks on eBay.

So those are my personal preferences. Someone mentioned the RNC, I really like that little box, it's a very powerful tool, especially for being so inexpensive. It's kinda "transparent" sounding, doesn't thicken up your sound like some of the other boxes do.

For live compression, DBX is pretty much the standard. Not the world's best sounding compressor, but adequate, and reasonably reliable. DBX's are VCA-based (not opto), so they have a little different sound, I've always found them to work better on vocals than on bass, but that's just my ear.
  12. I have an LA2A that sounds the best in the studio for any one playing bass, but hell, they cost 3500.00.

The La3 and La4 are good too. You can also try the 1178 or the 1176, all very high end comps.

Live, I have a nice even tone already, comps are not a part of my rig.

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    That's all? :eek: :p :confused: :rolleyes:
  14. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    for your purposes the Behringer or DBX
    compressor will be just fine.

If your in the studio, they will handle
    all the compression chores with a studio quality