Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok computer buffs...i got one that'll stump you

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Oct 29, 2004.

1. i want to know, and this may sound a little silly, but can you use a laptop's monitor as the monitor for a desktop? like i said...i know this probably sounds weird, but i just want to know. and please don't tell me its a bad idea, blah, blah, etc. just tell me if it is at all possible!

Charlie

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    it is possible.......i doubt older laptops will allow it, but the newer ones will....this is not a "yes" or "no" question, just like there is no single answer to "what is the best bass amp for me?"

-Mike

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Not with any laptop i've ever seen. It would have to have a XVGA input.

Why not just network the two machines together with wireless or ethernet, and run Remote Desktop 32 or some similar program. You could then remotely connect to that machine and fully control it.

4. Yeah, I don't see a way that you could do that. Notebooks don't have a VGA input that I know of.

I agree with Marley. Run remote desktop and access the pc that way.

5. You could probably use it as a secondary monitor via network connection.

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Really? Using what software?

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm curious too.

I can't see the why either, and remote desktop sounds like the best bet to me.

8. yeah, sorry guys, i am just interested...i had an idea...since i have a laptop right now, i was thinking about buying a new desktop pc, and since i already have the laptop monitor, i was wondering if it was possible to use some of the laptop components with the desktop. i was just thinking laptop monitor, because it has a small footprint, and i don't really want half my desk taken up by a monitor, and i don't really have the money for a flat panel monitor!

i really didn't think it was possible, but i thought maybe someone here knew something i didn't!

Charlie

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yup - its totally possible :)

10. i was expecting radiohead content. :mad:

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Great!

Ok, without some type of specialized input, how?

12. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Simple. Just disconnect the laptop screen from the laptop. There will be a connector for the video signals and power feed. Figure out which wire is which and wire them up to a power cord (you might want to check the voltage also and put a transformer in to match, I'm pretty sure laptop LCDs don't use 115 V AC) and HD15 VGA plug for the video signals. Pretty simple and it answers the question in the original post. It is possible and relativly simple. Of course later posts made it clear that he wants to still use it with the laptop. :D :D

In that case this solution is out and I don't see an easy or simple solution. I've seen a LOT of laptops, but I've never seen one that had an input for another PC Video feed.

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Sorry, I was assuming the laptop had to be intact from the start.