ok....cutting 410 in half? or building two seprate cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Oct 14, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have a hartke vx 410 cab...i actually like the sound (tweeter disconeccted)
    i just can't keep unloading and loading that things 4 times a day. i have two bands and one is 20 miles away... i really only need a 2x10 for practice.
    my dad cut a crate tube combo into a head and it can came out really really nice. so i was wondering if i should try that or build new boxes for the speakers.

the cab isn't really worth anything resale wise...maybe im just asking because my back hurts..not to mention my head weighs 75 pounds..i need a smaller rack case and power amp..

2. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Take the drivers out and build new cabinets. Measure the inside of the existing cabinet to get the proper volume, and then divide by 2 (2 210 cabs). It'll look better (and sound better) over trying to lop the existing cabinet in half and sealing two seperate chambers (imo).

But either way will work.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Bring it on over, I've got my chainsaw ready to go! ;)

Seriously, I don't see why not. Is your dad going to be able to help you? It could turn out great or completely ruin a good cab, its all on your woodworking skills, but I would say its doable.
  4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yes he is going to help me...i just have to recover it...

5. This sounds like the same approach to have two basses...

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002

7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ditto. Don't forget you'll also have to replicate the porting.
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it has one port in the back....how do i divide this?

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    and i want the box as light as possible..so what should i use?