Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok effects buffs...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Dec 29, 2003.

1. As an old school gearhead and moderator from the forums I've been away from my precious effects forum for a long time. A thread I started yesterday has got me thinking, there appears to be a few of you on here with some good ideas. So I ask you, anyone want to name off and discribe their ideas for effects? I'm bored, and it may be fun for some ****s and giggles.

ECM, (envelope controlled modulation)

Like an evelope controled filter this would use the dynamics of your instrument to control a sound module. But instead of using the envelope generator to trigger an amp, it uses it to control the direction of an lfo sweep. Much like a synthesizer would use a gate to retrigger. In theory this would allow you to start from a designated clock time within the sweep, or continous rise, peak and fall effects. To top it off rather than just being a chorus or flange, you could use a digital delay chip to sweep between delay times. So you could warp between through-zero-flanging to chorus to doubling.

saturated BPF (envelope controlled BPF with either 12 or 24 db oct slopes)

I got this idea from messing around with my friend's waldorf and virus synths. To create a unique filter effect with somewhat dirty results you could take a common bpf and make it so it feeds back into itself when you turn of resonance and Q. Much like a flanger in regen. But instead of just feeding back, the feedback signal could be linked in series to create more independance (IE, more distortion). Generating cool toy robot and vocal wow-woi effects.

Sum generater (octaver effect dreamed up in my calculus class)

Independence is a signal measureing system, you can create more independence with series and less with parallel. By using frequency instead of ohms you could get wierd octaver effects. You take your instruments frequency and a carrier frequency (ring modulators use this too) and combine them in add (series) or subtract (parallel). Then send the sum of the independence to a divider. It does the math for you and the outcome is... the weirdest octaver you've ever heard. 300 Hz + 140 Hz = 440Hz ÷ 2 = 220/220Hz

2. JES

JES Supporting Member

I don't know about currently available units, but Craig Anderton's _Electronic Projects for Musicians_ talks a bit about using envelopes to control phasers are other effects. I wonder why it isn't more common. It's so much fun on distortion and filters.

--JES

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

As an old school gearhead and moderator from the forums I've been away from my precious effects forum for a long time. A thread I started yesterday has got me thinking, there appears to be a few of you on here with some good ideas. So I ask you, anyone want to name off and describe their ideas for effects?

Bass Chaser: A DSP controlled speaker array that literally lets you slap folks upside the head, moving the apparent sound source around the room. You're not in Kansas anymore, you're in the bass vortex!

St. Vitus' Dance: This has been done recently, but not on the scale I envision. Control various EFX parameters with dance moves and contortions, while playing the bass. Use ultrasonics or a laser array to sense the trigger movements.

Laser Line Scan Pickups: Forget puny single-point optical sensors, scan a broad area of each string, allowing more complex harmonic content. This would make for some very interesting time domain EFX, esp. chorusing and the like.

---Charlie Escher

4. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    if you add two waves of different frequencies you don't generate higher frequencies, you just distort the amplitude. try cos(2x) + cos(x) on your graphing calculator. Pay more attention in calc! =)

Keep throwing these ideas out though, maybe when I finish my electrical engineering degree, I can rip them off!

5. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    I really like to have a box that makes me sound like an upright, with arco and pizz modes. It'd be so much easier to haul around.