1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok Effects gurus, what is this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jonesn4bass, Jul 18, 2014.

1. jonesn4bass

jonesn4bass Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Granville, Ma
    I usually play pretty clean. I've dabbled over the years with various distortions, delays, choruses,etc. but for the most part usually plug in direct and play.

A new project I am working on has a bit more of an Alt-J vibe and the guys were thinking about doing a cover of "Fitzpleasure." I'm sure there are plenty of studio effects out there to get that chunky electronic, distorted sound, but for playing live and not running through a computer does anyone have any suggestion for a pedal that can get me there?

Here's the song, check out around :27 if you aren't familiar with it:

2. It seems some kind of synth. I canĀ“t precise wich. But you can be so close using an envelope filter, an octaver and some dirty (better a fuzz).

3. Shabz

Shabz

Jun 20, 2014
    How close do you need to get?
    I managed this with an effect called "Bass Muff" on my B1Xon:

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Yup, sounds like a synth to me.

5. jonesn4bass

Jun 2, 2009
    Granville, Ma
    Thanks for the input! I think the bass muff would be close enough for my needs. I like the idea of the synth, but trying to keep things simple for a pedal ameteur, it probably isn't my best bet

6. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    Iron Ether Subterranea + Iron Ether Xerograph

Oterhwise just a gated fuzz to start (Malekko Diabolik, Iron Ether Oxide, Malekko B:Assmaster)

7. jonesn4bass

Jun 2, 2009
    Granville, Ma
    Follow up query: Since I'm clueless about synths and a number of you are suggesting going that route (or picking up 3 pedals to emulate that) I have been reading up on a whole bunch of synth effects and there doesn't really seem to be a consistent consensus except for the discontinued Akai model.

So, if I'm not interested in it being diverse, having a range of dynamic effects or sounds, and don't want to have to learn 3 separate pedals (noob here), what might you all recommend for the sound I'm trying to achieve. One trick ponies are fine by me!

Another example of the tone I'm going for can be found around :48 seconds in here:

Thanks guys!

8. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I bet you could get something you like out of a Source Audio Multiwave. The foldback settings are very synthy sounding. I would try EQing out some high end, too, if you took that particular track.

9. i think an octave and a dirt pedal could do the trick. if not look through eventide and source audio.

10. jez79

jez79

May 2, 2004
    Canada
    Bass microsynth will give you octave, dirt and filter all in one package

As for the fitzpleasure song above, i wouldn't be surprised if it was dirt on a bowed upright (ipad speakers, so i could be wrong)

11. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    tried something.. may not even be close but it was fun. (Lower the volume before playing it)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  12. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    DSC00742.JPG here's what i used:

13. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Honestly, some of the demos I've heard on some of the Fuzzrocious et al fuzzes, you could get pretty damn close just with the right settings on a Muff-inspired fuzz and some preamp EQ boosting the highs to make it more gnarly. Maybe they sound different solo'd vs in a mix, but that's what I'm getting from that cut.

14. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    i'm missing my micropog (it's with a friend) i think using the up octave would have got the sound closer