1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok, enough with the relic stuff!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
  2. In the Description he says: "Feel free to ask any questions."
    I have only one question.

WHY?! :meh:

3. lowregister

lowregister

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison, WI
    From my experience with my Warwick Corvette Standard which requires regular waxing because it doesn't have the normal 'painted' finish, won't exposing any instrument like that have some measurable effect?

4. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    not if its refinished over the exposed areas. If left unprotected, moisture and other goodies can cause serious issues.

5. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Also as opposed to a "relic" why not just by a nice natureal finish?

6. cap'n crunk

cap'n crunk

Apr 6, 2010
    California
    Ugh. What a terrible thing to do to a nice Highway 1 P. It's not even a good relic job -- and whether such a thing even exists is actually debatable -- but the transition from paint to wood is way too abrupt; it doesn't look at all like play wear.

The sad thing is, the H1s have a nitrocellulose finish. There's no poly coat, so if you play them and play them and play them, they'll start to show wear relatively quickly. I've had my honey blonde H1 Jazz for two years and the paint over the forearm area, the offset on the back of the body, the lower edge where it rests on my thigh when I play sitting, and directly over the bridge pickup where I rest my thumb, has taken on a distinctly shiny cast (as opposed to the matte finish on the rest of the bass). I've got a feeling that in another couple of years the wood will be starting to peek through the finish in those spots. I'm looking forward to owning a killer-sounding Jazz that's taken on that "relic" look through the heavy usage of actual hands rather than the application of sandpaper.

Re: lowregister's question: No. (Unless you leave it out in the rain; but finished or unfinished, that would of course be veddy veddy bad for any bass.) Warwick suggests waxing their basses in order to maintain and protect the exotic hardwoods they use. Not waxing it wouldn't hurt it, it probably just wouldn't look as spiffy. I owned a Thumb 5 for about five years, never once waxed it, gigged with it tons, and it never looked the worse for wear. Warwicks are built like tanks with strings.

7. "First of all the paint has been washed off to give it a relic taste"

I call that a relic lack of taste!!!

8. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    It's like buying brand new pants with holes in them; all for looks.

9. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Under the heading of 'what was I thinking', this guy decided to relic, does the worst job imaginable and now is trying to sell it off to further avoid the laughter he gets every time it comes out of the case.

In my opinion, wear is earned, but this doesn't say wear, it says stupidity.

10. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    One person's turd is another person's "finish option."

11. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    !!!!WIN!!!!

12. Hey, its 85% ready for the color of your choice. It may be cheap enough for me to finally try my 1997 Honda Civic Black Currant Pearl. i.e, the bass is runied and the price will reflect that.

13. The “relic” concept is amazing to me.
    What it is, is a bogus way for teens to buy age and creds. It's a poser magnet.
    Imagine: 3 guys show up with the same scratches and wear marks on their Strats,:spit: of course Strats because everybody has to have a Strat.
    Why go on…

14. Once upon a time there was a guitarist of legendary status, the Fable Musician, who wanted a reproduction of this magic axe which had served him well for years, helped defined his sound, and was now due for pampered and loving care relinquish to a padded case or maybe under glass at a museum. So, he went to the source of this magical axe... The Maker. And, the Maker's minions prodded and poked, raised the hood, then went to work. They labored long and hard to recreated the magic and soon they did and presented the Fable Musician with his brand new reproduction just like it came off the factory floor so long, long ago. The Fable Musician grabbed the pristine axe and prepared to weld it... then he said, wait a minute mate I can't play this (cuss-cuss) thing it doesn't feel right, its missing something, yeah I know what mate where is my wear and tear from years of sweaty play. The Maker fretted and despaired at defacing its prize creation but soon gave in and relic'd the magic axe for the Fable Musician and thus was born a new legend, Magic relic'd Axe.

Fable Musician played by Keith Richards
    The Maker, Fender and the Magical Axe a vintage stat.

If you love playing bass, not just talking about it like most of us, try the Fender Road Worn P and tell me if you really, really have that much hate that's spewing in this thread for a relic'd instrument. Is this really gonna raise you blood pressure that much, come on.

A BASS that feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears, sits well in the mix is all you need. Everything else is just collecting.

15. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    I have a friend who owns a guitar shop. One day stopping in I find him out back with a customer lighting a guitar body on fire. He was tryng to duplicate a SRV strat. I had to laugh. With all the cheap body parts available these days, who really gives a crap what you do. It's not like people are doing this to guitars worth any money. When I see a guitar like that, I always think maybe I could smash that guitar on stage. I never have. I can hardly believe the prices manufacturers are getting for their reliced guitars. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

16. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    +1 must be an instant gratification thing. I have worn out pants over one year. I get cheap jeans and wear them constantly. Maybe one day I'm hiking in them, the next in squatting round a campfire or something. Next day I spill hotrocks on them. One day I'm painting and I get paint on them... its a cool way to earn some worn out jeans (or a good reason to buy new ones).

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Relic bashing is not permitted here in any way, folks. No one needs to explain or "earn" the appearance they want for their bass. A reliced bass is every bit a "fake" finish as any bass that has a painted or stained one- that stuff doesn't happen in nature either. You wouldn't expect someone who wants a black paintjob to only apply a couple flecks of black paint to a bass each gig until they finally have a black bass after 10 years- don't expect someone who wants a worn look to wait years for something they can have now either. Rather than editing most of the posts in this thread and wait for either more anti-relic posts or the impending arguments that will arise from those that dig relics, I'm going to close this now. I will remind you all of the rules on relic discussions from the Basses forum-specific rules:

Since artificially aging an instrument (i.e. relicing) is, at least visually, no different than artificially coloring an instrument (i.e. painting) any posts or threads insulting such procedures are hereby banned under the "no insulting ugly instruments" rule that has been the long-standing policy here at talkbass. You're welcome to give your own personal reasons why you don't like the look of worn instruments, however they ended up in that condition, but slagging the instruments or the players who play them is going to jeopardize your posting abilities here.

Make a note of this. If you don't approve of someone else's finish choice, keep it to yourself, or if you absolutely -must- vent your opinion, tell them privately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.