1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OK fellow gigging bassists....your opinions please.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tx Basser, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    Here's the true story:

I have been unemployed for about a year due to a layoff and have been gigging every Friday and Saturday night for the past 9 months with a local country / rock type band.

Three weeks ago I finally secured a new full time job and gave the band notice that I would play the remaining weekend gigs thru the end of August (a 3 week notice) but that starting Sept. 1st, they would need to find a new bassist as my new job would conflict with me gigging. We are a middle aged group of guys and everyone told me they understand and wish me the best of luck.

This weekend (Fri/Sat) was to be my last gigs with the band. But instead, I get a text message from the leader/lead singer this morning stating that they wouldn't need me tonight or tomorrow night as they auditioned a new bassist yesterday and that he would be playing the gigs this weekend.

I understand about them getting a new bassist but what I don't understand is that I gave them plenty of notice and they wait until the morning of the gig to inform me that I am not needed. I am a loyal person who has never missed a rehearsal and was always early to the gigs and did my share of set up, tear down, loading etc. I am a 100% team player throughout my music career and life. I don't care about the money but I am a little put out at the manner in which I was told.

What say you? Is this a good way to do business and treat a friend or is this poor treatment?

My apologies for the long read.

2. Big Brother

Big Brother

Feb 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Roving sub-demon
    I would think it would be nice of them to let you play out the last show, especially since you could have bailed on all the shows and left them hanging.

It seems they are already looking to the future though, they aren't thinking of it in the same terms that you are and probably don't understand it as your 'last hurrah' with them.

3. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Very rude to cancel you day of show esp. with your prior agreement on your quitting date. Either they are pissed you are leaving and want to punish you or the new guy impressed them so much they think he can play your parts significantly better after just one rehearsal.

4. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Congrats on the job!

Think of it in terms of a "real" job. If you give your employer a notice, they can release you right then and there. They do not have to honor your remaining time. Pretty sure that is the case in TX, not sure about CA though LOL. It's crappy, but they are moving forward for the right reason. It does not seem there is any underlying drama here. Just a band that found a new bassist.

However, the text thing. I still do not get that. I'm young enough where I should, but I don't. Serious news is always best face-to-face OR on the phone. I guess texting is legitimate now-a-days, so not sure the BL is out of line here.

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... ouch .
    :ninja:

6. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    First off "GRATS!" on landing the new job. You know.... the one that will pay the mortgage.

As for the band thing yeah it's a little crappy to wait around until the last minute to give you the "thanks but no thanks" message. The good news is at least you hadn't loaded up your gear yet. This is an especially sad part in my book as this was supposed to be your last gig with these guys and could have been a cool send off and party.

All that being said, from the band perspective they are probably just trying to move on and this is just their way of dealing with it. I hope you guys are still doing good on a personal level but band members leaving bands, even on good terms, can feel like loosing a brother.
    Yeah that's a rough one.

If you look on the bright side this will give you the time to go deal with the new job, learn its ins and outs, and discover what time you CAN devote to a new band; "The next chapter" so to speak.

7. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    It sounds like you had a good run, man. Count your blessings, wish them well, and move on. Heck, why don't you show up at the gig and support them? That's just good karma.

8. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    It's business. Bottom line comes before people in that world, sad but true. It might sting a bit at first, but after that I would just let it roll off of you and go on to focusing on what's important to you in the future.

9. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    This is a good point, if you think it's worth it to you.

10. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Sounds like they jumped at an opportunity to get a guy on board right away.

They moved on pretty quickly, but I wouldn't make much of it, why leave with a bad taste in your mouth?

You were trying to give them some notice, but turns out they didn't need it.

Congrats on the new job.

11. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Congrats on the new job! I do think it's a bit rude for them not to let you play out the last gig, but I can also understand them wanting to move the new guy into place ASAP. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably express some disappointment, but try to be understanding. After all - you're the one moving on to better things.

12. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    I appreciate the responses so far. I did wish them well when I gave them notice and the band leader let it be known that he was bummed that I was leaving when I gave them notice. I am counting my blessings and don't have any "hard" feelings towards them...however, this band leader has a local history of replacing guys on a whim. He already did it to the drummer and lead player who were in the band when I joined them. They got the exact same treatment: a text or email the day of the gig after he found their replacement player.

I guess I should have seen it coming and I am glad they found someone and are moving forward. I guess I am too naive and old school.

I ask myself, I wonder how the band leader would feel if I had "texted" him this morning and said "I can't make it this weekend. Find you another guy for tonight and tomorrow." I wonder if he would have been P'O'ed?

Again, I do wish them well and am moving on. (going fishing tomorrow!)
    Thank for your opinions! I value and respect every one of them.

13. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Aug 9, 2011
    Go to the gig tonight and have fun. Show them that you are not bothered and you shouldn't be, you quit. And from their point of view, they were down to the wire if they just auditioned this guy last night and this weekend was to be your last gig, so this might have been more stressful for them than you anyways. So buy them a round of drinks/shots and smile.

Edit: I do think the text message thing is NOT COOL, but times are changing. I hardly actaully "talk" to people on the phone anymore.

14. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Congrats on the new job. Text and email can make a gutless jerk into a muscle man.

Be happy. Heck, they might call you in a few weeks to do some sub work.

15. Although I see your point, you can hardly blame them for moving on as soon as possible. You quit. They replaced you.

Yes, it would have been nice to let them play a last show, but sometimes it hurts less if they rip the band-aid off as quick as possible. Hopefully, in the future all will be forgiven and if you go see them play they let you sit in for a song or two.

16. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Well. I think it was pretty "bad form" on their part, but don't get all twisted up. I can see some of the logic in some of the prior posts, but I'd have shown a bit more class and let you finish out your notice. Heck, I'd even have made it a special occassion/party. Guess I'm just old school.

17. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This. When I gave notice at my previous job, they immediately took my work and assigned it to someone else. The last minute thing stinks but alot of people dont like to look at bands like a job, more like a friendship, and thats usually incorrect. From their perspective, they wanted the new guy on board as soon as possible and you were quitting, so, why prolong that? (I know it still sucks though!)

18. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Doesn't matter why you quit, you gave them notice and they agreed to let you finish the dates. They had you on the books for a gig and canceled you last minute. That's bush league crap. Cut them loose and let them hang themselves out to dry. I've done MANY gigs on a hired gun basis. Something like this would get an act blackballed with every player in town. You are only as good as your word. They did not keep theirs. They'd be dead to musicians around here.

Don't give up on gigging if you can help it. Find some way to get on stage. Everyone I know who has quit has wanted back in sooner or later. It is WAY harder to get started back up than it is to ramp it up a little after backing off but not completely quitting.

19. timbros

timbros

Jan 2, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    With regards to the OP and the comments about the band being a real job, this would be my question... Is the band you just left a corporation or LLC or some other type of business entity? If not, isn't that "real job" several independent contractors with a verbal contract to show up and perform the services for x dollars?

Bummer the BL just sent you a text, and certainly not suggesting you make a big deal over the loss. Just wanted to provide a different perspective, though I'm no labor expert.

Take Care,
    Timbros.

20. That was kind of low move on their part but music is a cut throat business. I wouldn't think too much of it. And congratulations on the new job!