Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, Fender has some explaining to do! My jazz cracked!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Some one is in trouble.

I was giving my MIM Fender J Bass a look around, just making sure everything was dandy and all that good stuff.

I look to where the body and neck connect, and see something that looks like dried glue or something, I rub it a little bit, and a piece falls off!

I took the neck off to look at it, and everything else around there looks fine...

Should Guitar Center let me return this for a new bass? I have had it about 2 months, and I think there should still be a waruntee on it.

I love this bass... And if it does not hurt the sound, I will not really care all that much, but if it has done anything more than blemish it, I will be quite pissed.

Who should I call?

2. what do you mean "a piece came off"

Piece of what?

I think 2 months is longer then 30 days....but,you may have some guarenteed thingy...call 'em and tell them what happened.

good luck MM

May the force be with you. :oops:

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Upon further inspection, I found that it did not get the wood.

I guess that there is quite a thick layer of paint and other stuff between the outside and the wood, and that is what fell off. It is like not even an 8th of an inch thick at the thickest part, so some touch up paint would fix it no problem.

Oh well... Battle scars are cool.

The real problem is how to explain it to my dad. He will want specific details of how it happened... and since i do not know how it happened, i am screwed.

*Looks on the internet for touch up paint*

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Why would it matter? Do you own the bass? Then why would scars make a difference one way or the other.

And what were you doing taking the neck off anyway?

5. be like :bawl: "Father...I was trying to act like your (insert his favorite band)'s bass player and I wanted to rock out...and I was rehersing for your Special father's day concert and...:bawl: just...:bawl: *hugs*

Dad: It's ok son...say,want a Fod...Fodera? I think its called?

:oops:

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    My dad is one of those guys that thinks looks matter... especially when he was the one who forked out $360 bucks for the bass...

It is mine, I could sell it if I felt like it and it would not break his heart... I just promised him I would be really nice to it and not turn it into a project like I did my squier...

I was actually going to give it a nice scrub down, windex the body, lemon oil the neck etc... when I was taking off the strings, I heard a "crack" look down, and see it the crack line in the paint. Then I took the neck off just to make sure that it was not a crack somewhere in the body or something...

I should... but he does not take well to ass kissing...

He won't be mad, he will just give me one of his "You dumb Sh**" looks, then call me a dumb sh** then ask me if I want to go to Chili's or somethin...

7. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    this is far from the first time i have heard or seen a similar horror story,i have tried more than a few "new fenders' and came across porr finish jobs.more so on the p-basses than the jazz.its really sad that for 1000.00$(or so)that they dont get the finish nice and tight(can you say fender JAPAN)?:D

8. It might have been caused by uneven tension in the neck as you took off the strings. Not a sign of quality though.

9. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    GhostBusters!!!

10. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    "I was actually going to give it a nice scrub down, windex the body, lemon oil the neck etc... "

Why on earth would you use windex on the bass body. I think I know why your paints coming off.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Because it works great and does not hurt the paint at all.

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Some household cleaners like Windex may contain ammonia, which isn't always OK for plastics and laquers. I'd stay away from it just to be safe.

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Ya, pure windex will hurt the paint, but I dilute mine quite a bit. The bottle is like 1/4 windex, then the rest is all water.

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, PLEASE don't use Windex. Save up a few bucks and get some actual guitar cleaner. Martin is one of the best out there and it's only like $6. That bottle should last you several years.

15. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    That's American made? Sounds like a Mexican model story to me.

$360? That's around the price range of a Mex Fender. I've been saying this for years--repeal NAFTA!!!!!! Peace.

16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    No scatman, Mike said in his intial post that the bass is a MIM.