Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, finally made the switch...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JohnL, Jun 4, 2001.

1. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I switched the stock single coils in my MIJ Jazz to Dimarzio DP-123's (couldn't locate any Ultra Jazz pups in stock anywhere around here). I know a lot of you guys sing their praises, so add me to the list of happy campers! Dead quiet, no problem soloing the bridge. (Thanks to raiD5 for the wiring help!) The bridge pup didn't seem to be as "bright" sounding as the single coil, but a slight eq tweak and I was off and running. Now if I can just convince the wife that an Alembic F1X is a necessary purchase...

2. If at all possible, can you attempt to describe the difference in tone between the original's and the DP-123s?

I have considered changing the pups in my fretted bass, but as always, I fear losing the sound that made me love the bass in the first place. Damned hum.

FF

3. I switched to DP123's to get rid of my Mexi-hum. I love the sound of them. Then I found a 1989 Korean Squier Jazz in a pawnshop, got it, and put cream DP123's on it as well. The 2nd set sounds just as cool. And they both play amazing. I also put a badass2 on the Mexi, and plan on putting a Gotoh on the Korean, but haven't needed it.

I don't think you'd be disappointed. I do go for the old-old sound, though. They are a 1979 design, and that's what they sound like. I have to turn the tone down to 4 to get the 60's dead-flatwound sound.

I'm telling you, I really like the things. I know, somehow all my basses ended up being cream colored. :D

[​IMG]

Chris

4. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    To me, the DP123's have a lot more output than my stock MIJ single coils. The one immediate concern that I had was that they are "taller" than the stock pups, and I had to remove the foam rubber block that Fender installed under the originals. Unlike the Fender pups, the DP123's have individual adjustable pole pieces for output adjustment, but apparently they ship them screwed all the way in and you can only adjust them out to be closer to the strings, so I couldn't really reduce the output level that way. As I mentioned in my earlier post, they don't seem quite as bright, but I prefer to play most of my fretless stuff with the bridge pup soloed ( I know, I'm really forging into unknown waters there, huh?) and also as mentioned earlier, a little eq tweak was sufficient.

5. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    If you want a brighter sound you could convert the bridge pup into a single coil - some (but not all) of the hum would come back but for a five minute soldering job it might be worth a try.

You know how the pickups have four wires coming out of them - well each one is a coil, so all you have to do is to de-solder the black and white wires, desolder the green wire from the pot and try connecting the black wire in its place - if this does not work then connect the white wire instead and it should work.

If you had room in the control cavity (and the inclination to) you could fit a small pickup select switch which would allow you to select single coil or humbucker. (Bright and hummy or less bright and not hummy)

I read somewhere that the the 'brightness' of a pup was related to the number of windings in the coil - the less windings the brighter the pup. Perhaps some nice TB'er would be able to explain in simple terms (i.e. without any references to right or left hand laws...) :D

6. On the DP123's, the 2 coils are under 2 different pairs of strings. So if you took one coil out of the circuit, you would only pickup 2 strings. That's how the DP123's are humbucking, but retain a sound pretty similar to the single coils. Internally they look like the 2 coils of a P pickup laid end to end.

On most humbuckers, what you said is true because the 2 coils are full size and each coil covers all strings.

Chris

7. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Well there ya go - I was completly wrong ! In my defence I will say that I was misled by the installation instructions and options on the Dimarzio website...

You could have fun with that - the ability to switch off one half of your pups.. Hmm perhaps fun isn't the right word.

thanks throbbinnut - if yer don't slap me down I will never learn !

8. do you have the coils in the DiMarzio connected in series or parallel?
    (series- higher output, more mids, parallel- scooped mids, lower output, more clarity- that's what Ive found with humbuckers in general anyway)

9. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I'm embarassed to admit this, but I'm not sure which way I have it hooked up. The instructions said to solder the black & white wires together, and connect the red to the pot and the green to ground, and thats what I did! Is there a better way that I don't know about?

10. You have them wired in series, just like I do. I never felt the need to change it. Sounds fine to me.

Chris