1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok folks here's one for ya

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZionBound, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ZionBound

ZionBound

Dec 12, 2008
    I have a little guy who is really wanting to learn bass. I visited him and his family about three or four months ago because I had a gig in his area. He was stoked to talk about everything bass and really, reaLLY, REALLY, wanted a bass guitar. I told him that I would shop around for him and if I couldn't find anything suitable that he could use one of my basses on loan.

So, I finally desided on an SX jazz starter package because I figured if he really did get into to playing I could help him mod it out down the road. Well. . . his "know-it-all" dad who apparently "plucked some bass" back in the day went out and bought him a Givson. Thats right a GiVson. Some weak-sauce company out of India.

When he emailed me about his "new" guitar he wrote that it was "indian" and it was a "givson". My natural reaction was you mean "made in indonesia?" and does it say "Gibson?" What is the story behind these basses anyone know anything about them. Did the poor kid get the shaft from his cheap pops?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Only the best Indian basses are made of toon wood. :(

Those instruments look like they're left over from the heyday of early Japanese import instruments of the 60's. :(

3. ZionBound

ZionBound

Dec 12, 2008
    Do they even still make new ones? I already checked out that site and it sucks! I have never seen or heard of this mystery brand but I just read a few reviews on Harmony Central and people overall are saying that for the price its a pretty good guitar. But I think we all know that if somebody cheaps out that much on a guitar they are gonna try and rationalize how "good" it is

4. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    They look... crooked. Although, I am intrigued to hear what that one with the P pup and two J pups sounds like...

5. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    My favorite is on the home page where it states: "beware of imitation"(!!).

6. azarias

azarias

Mar 19, 2009
    I am surprised the maniac that runs Gibson hasn't hired a team of assassins to handle these folks...

7. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    I wanna see pricing. :(

8. ZionBound

ZionBound

Dec 12, 2008
    yeah isn't that classic! It seems as though they put some kind of identifying hollogram on the guitar so you can tell which is an "original" and which is not. I feel bad for the kid ya know. He doesn't know any better and he's all jazzed about having a bass guitar now that there is now ay I can tell him how potentially crappy it is. I wish somebody owned one so we could discuss what its playability is like.

9. Holy smokes this website just gets funnier and funnier...

Manufacturers of all kinds of guitars...:smug:

[​IMG]

And check out the registered trade mark logo...looks a lot like another logo perhaps?

[​IMG]

10. I don't understand all the responses to how horrible it is that the kid got some no name brand. I got my first bass when I was 14 and it was definately a piece of junk no name thing that I paid 70 or 80 dollars for (maybe even 60?). But I played the hell out of that thing for two years and when my parents finally realized I wasn't giving it up, they bought me an Aria Pro II, which compared to my first bass was a work of art.

Anyway, the point is, for a first bass it doesn't really matter as long as it stays in tune. What's more important is that the kid sticks with the instrument and if he does, then he can worry about acquiring a quality instrument down the road some day.

I hardly think that this youngster is a "poor kid" because he ended up with a low quality instrument. Like I said, in a year or so, if he's still into playing then he can worry about better equipment. For now he's fine.

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    The one I saw had paper(card stock) for pickup bobbins. I do not believe that they are still in business.

G

12. ZionBound

ZionBound

Dec 12, 2008
    Oh don't get me wrong I'm not saying the guy deserves a ric or a MIA Fender I'm simply saying that if you are gonna get a low budget instrument try and get one that is reputable and has some kind of customer support system. And for all we know it doesn't stay in tune;)

13. Hi.

^^^There was a thread a while ago stating that the "GIBSUN" logo there was a brand of counterfeit Gibsons :D.

IIRC no-one had seen a closed O silk-screen logo of that design (obviously). My knowledge is only from -71 onwards, but I hadn't seen one either.

OP, I haven't ever heard about the brand, and their site is plain awful: Magnetic steel strings?, German silver frets? etc. That said, I don't think the SX, HB, JD etc. "rebrand" instruments real homepages are any better if they even exist. Why don't You give the bass a test-run and see/feel for yourself. It might be in a desperate need of a setup and be quite playable after that. I've never seen a POS that couldn't be played after a setup.

I think his dad is quite cool for buying him a bass even if he didn't quite pick the best possible alternative.

Regards
    Sam

14. ZionBound

ZionBound

Dec 12, 2008
    Ok I guess I need to clarify so that I don't seem like and ungrateful jerk who thinks the kid got ripped off because his dad bought him a no name bass. First of all I told him that I would look around for a quality BEGGINER bass for him. I am in complete agreement that you have to crawl before you walk and there is no sense in buying a higher quality instrument if you are just starting out. And yes it is major cool of his dad to buy him a bass. When I asked my dad to buy me my first bass he bought me a $40 dollar acoustic guitar and said I needed to learn to play that first, then about three weeks later came home with a bass that was going to be his because he wanted to learn to play.:mad:

I started this thread for two reasons:
    1. Has anyone ever owned a Givson and if so how did it play, sound, etc.?

2. To pose the question is Givson ok for even a begginer or is the bass a piece no matter who its for?

Mainly I wanna know about the playability of the thing so I can offer the kid sound advice

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    A lot of them actually are...........

Toon wood = Indian mahogany.

16. I just wanted to say that my first bass was pretty crummy too...but I'm just laughing at the fact that this website is sooooo blatantly sheisty....

Wow look at the descriptions...

http://www.givson.com/about.htm

"THE DIFFERENCE IS EASY TO SEE AND EVEN EASIER TO HEAR
    CHECK OUT THE PRICES AND YOU'LL SAY THAT THERE'S NOTHING LIKE GIVSON."

"Why Givson Guitars are supreme mellow tone

1. The body of the guitars are made of seasoned wood.
    2. They have an accurate and soft touched Fret board.
    3. Best quality raw materials are used in manufacturing.
    4. The instruments are made by experienced technicians only.
    5. Quality is maintained very strictly."

LOVIN' THIS WEBSITE!!!

17. Alright, the website is certainly worthy of ridicule. My favorite line is "Manufacturers of all kinds of guitars, mandolines, electric guitars, etc." The "etc." is the best part. It's kind of like saying, "And oh yeah, we make other stuff too. Check out our fantastic brand of Nikey shoes while you're here looking around".

I agree that dad should have just gone to the local music store and found a beginner's Fender or something like that. But a couple of adjustments to the instrument should do the kid well.

18. I recently came back from my honeymoon in Fiji and at the Fiji airport there were dudes that looked much like the dudes on the front page of Givson guitars...boy I'll tell you they had all the "etc" you could imagine....

and each one of the guys looked exactly the same and were calling "duty free shop...duty free shop" (Indian accent) to everyone that walked by.