Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok folks, i need your help with strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by billybo, May 9, 2004.

1. billybo

billybo

Jul 18, 2002
    i used to have dr hi beams starting at 45 gauge. then my d string broke so i brought earnie ball extra slinky at 45 gauge. and my d string broke again. i seem to have a heavy hand when slappin,plucking, and fingering..my style of play leans more towards r&b and funk. im playing on a fender deluxe jazz 5 string. im tryin to get that marcus miller sound wiht the strings, but what strings should i get for my style of play and should i get a heavier gauge..

2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Billy, you might need to have your bridge checked out if you are breaking a D string over and over. You might have a bur or sharp peice of metal on that string saddle.

3. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    DR FAT BEAMS

They are similar to High Beams, and they are MM's signature strings.

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Breaking a D string should never happen with proper technique and/or setup. You should have your bass set up and checked for burs or problems with the bridge, and if everything is OK with the bass, you should alter your technique and not use such a heavy attack. An attack that is heavy enough to break a string will DEFINITELY hinder your progress and your ability to play fast and evenly.

5. [​IMG]
    Treena