Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK found a 5 string neck I like but..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Assumer, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Went to a local guitar shop and pickup up a tobias 5 string. It came from the new factory in Conway. I play lefty but even upside down, the neck felt great. The first 5 string I have picked up that the neck just felt right. My qestions is, are the music yo tobias basses the same as these, and are there any other basses out there with a tobias like neck? I was even considering fliping this one upside down. Like the neck that much.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Toby Pro models with the ASYM neck should be pretty similar in profile to the USA model you played. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they have any 5 stringers right now.

3. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Yes, I saw they were out. How is the quality of the non USA models?

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If it has an asymetrical neck, and you play a right-handed bass lefty, you miss the benefit of the asymetrical neck (which is thinner on the treble side).

5. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I had no idea it was a asym. neck. It felt great backwards, I guess it could only get better played correctly.