1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok, fretfind is bugging me.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dave-chaulk, Apr 28, 2010.

1. I made a fretfind template to the spec. of my VM fretless - 34", 1.5 on the nut, 2.9 (3) at the bridge. When I print it, it comes in 4 sheets. before even cutting anything, I line up the nut marking on the sheet and the neck, but the frets are COMPLETELY off. The first fret is about 1/8" closer to the nut than on the VM, and so on. I'm printing it at 100%... I don't understand why it's not working.

Any tips?

2. Dream Weaver

Dream Weaver

Jul 11, 2009
    OH
    You aren't printing to scale. Turn off any print options that say "shrink to fit" or "shrink to printable area". That would be why things are 'off'.

3. My print scaling is set to "none", but it's still off.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    If your using any program coded by Windows, I've never been able to make any of their programs print anything to scale, no matter what I did. Even when they have an option that asks you the exact size you want it printed, they won't do it.

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    You have to scale your drawing by the printer. If you are printing a 34 scale that is coming out at 33 then you should use a print factor of 1.03.

AutoCAD makes life easy. :)

6. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    What format are you exporting to? Try changing formats and/or printing with a different print utility.

7. I was printing straight from Acrobat reader - that's the format the pictures came in.

So, if I were to take the 1-piece picture and get it printed at stables on a wide-scale printer, would I still have this problem?

8. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Yes. To a lesser extent and they will be able to scale it to the final dimensions.

My 36" scale printed at 35.875" and they printed another that was 36" nearly balls-on. Bonus: I got two printings for the price of one!

9. Good - next time I'm in town I'll have one printed. I won't be building another bass for a while anyways.

10. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Or you could always just get the measurements from StewMac for free and mark them yourself and be sure. I have to do it that way on both sides for my fan builds.
    Dirk

11. I don't feel like I have the measuring ability to do it so accurately. I don't even own a caliper, hah.

12. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    ^ And you feel that you are ready to be making instruments?!

Confidence is the most important tool you can own and there isn't a store in the world that sells it.

13. Mikey, I've already built two basses and a guitar... I just don't use calipers, and don't do measurements to the thousandth of an inch that could make or break the entire thing. I've never encountered a problem with these things, because I've never fretted. it is the only thing I'm fretting about. if anything I'm over-confident.

14. Oh, and sorry for my "fretting" pun.