1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ok Fuzz warriors, I have a question for you.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zwkoch, Mar 27, 2013.

1. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't use a ton of fuzz in my playing, but I have a lot of interest in two particular fuzz pedals. My question to the fuzz horde is the following: If you had to pick between the Eau Claire Thunder (On Wisconsin!) or the W&C Tall Font Russian, which one would you choose and why? I am not interested in any other fuzzes, so please keep it focussed on these two if possible. I play finger style through a Mesa rig with 5 and 6 string basses. Thanks!

2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Out of those two, I prefer the flexibility of the Eau Claire Thunder. The TFR is kind of a one trick pony, granted, it's a great trick!

3. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i love Aen, but i've never had much luck with any of his pedals. just never clicked with them. and i adore the Pickle Pie B and Phat Phuck from Matty Wren Cuff, the Box Of War was awesome..... all his stuff is LEGIT.

..... but the ECT is one Dwarfcraft i've never played and so is the Tall Font. sooooooo....... i'd go with the W&C, just because i've bonded more with his stuff.

i. am completely. unhelpful.

WOOOOOOOOOOOO.

4. zwkoch

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I see you have a Great Destroyer available, how does that compare? It seems far less polite than the ECT.

5. vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    It's far less polite, to say the least. The Great Destroyer is more of a glitchy, over the top insane box of sheer noise terror (I mean that in a good way!) whereas the Eau Claire Thunder is more along the lines of a Muff on a boatload of steroids! The Eau Claire Thunder is much more user friendly, too.

6. I've owned both (and currently have an ECT).

The TFR is this gorgeous, fat, creamy, deep muffy fuzz that retains (if not adds) low end brilliantly. I will concur that it probably doesn't do a lot of things other than the one fantastic tone it has, but to echo comments above, it does a fantastic job with it. I traded mine in a fit of GAS, and I'm sure I'll get another someday.

The ECT is...wow, what can you say about the ECT...it is huge. Massive. Reeeeeeally MASSIVE. It just devastates anything it its path. This pedal is truly a beast. If you want to shake walls and intimidate people, this is what you want. It also doesn't just retain low end, I swear it adds low end to your sound, yet somehow amazingly enough, it retains incredible aggressive definition. It is a much more flexible pedal in that it'll do all sorts of crazy sounds, thanks to the tone bypass and the feedback loop. However, it is also difficult to control, kind of like a caged wild animal. It isn't insane in a glitchy terrorizing way like the Great Destroyer is, but more like growling angry bear that hasn't eaten in a month and has you in his sights.

The ECT is certainly more exciting, but it may also be too much depending upon what you want to use it for. Both builders are great in their own ways, and build quality is excellent in each case as well. My impressions are based upon playing them with 4 and 5 string basses through Genz-Benz and Aguilar rigs.

7. zwkoch

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Thanks for all the feedback. I like the size of the TFR, but really am drawn to the ECT. I must have watch the fuzz wars episodes a dozen times each. Thanks again everyone. Keep the comments coming!

8. I'd go for the TFR. I've heard it been played and I love the sound... then again I really like Muffs and you can't beat the Green Russian-type for bass.

--Silvie

9. IIRC, both the TFR and ECT are actually green Russian muff based, it's just that the TFR stays closer to the original, and the ECT take it many many steps beyond that core.

10. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    ETC for sure. The Tall Font is just another muff, the ECT is a beast.

11. zwkoch

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Guess who has an ECT coming....:D:D:D:D

12. I had a TFR and loved it for the few months I had it. Like posted, it's a one trick pony, but does that trick very very well. I ended up getting rid of it though because it really doesn't do anything else but that one trick. I really only liked it with the gain maxed and even then it was a bit too scooped in the end. I now have a TAFM and can't stop loving it. I'd def go with the Dwarfcraft over the TFR after owning a TFR. Not saying it's bad, besides keeping the low end pretty tight, it was just alright.

13. zwkoch

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    That is why I LOVE this board. Why didn't I join sooner?

14. i love aen myself but the tall font russian is the one i would buy.

15. zwkoch

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    My ECT arrived today, and it is really loud and ballsy. I'm pretty sure I should put a warning label on my pedalboard, this thing could kill a small animal. Exactly what I wanted. HUGE bottom end and tons of aggression. Thanks for all the input.

16. vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I should see if I can get you a spare "This Machine Eats Hipsters" sticker like the one I have on my B:Assmaster!

17. Very well described. It is a dangerous weapon of sonic destruction, no doubt about it. You can probably see why it terrified the other guys in my band! :D

Have fun and enjoy it! I'm surprised the ECT hasn't received more recognition around these parts. It is an impressive piece of work.

18. Rawrrbass

Rawrrbass

Mar 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I tried the WC TFR and could never really get it to sound how I wanted it to, love my Pickle Bie B though.

Gotta give it to the ECT, its my go to fuzz at the moment. Takes up quiet a bit of board space compared to the TFR but its worth it.

19. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    How does the low end compare with the Eau clair compared to the w&c tall font.....?

20. zwkoch

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    I'm not sure how they did this, but the ECT has a ton of grit and fuzz, but yet it still has tons of clarity and bottom end. Its not just a wall of sound. It is bright without being harsh and dirty as a park restroom without losing clarity. As a fingerstyle player, every fuzz i have tried sounded really compressed and overly thick. Great for whole notes and chords, but not good for articulate lines. Trying to play a song like Hysteria by Muse was impossible. After watching fuzz wars, I realize that I may have been sending too hot of a signal to the fuzz, but that doesn't seem to be a problem with the ECT.