1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK, gang. You have been a great help so far.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by two fingers, Aug 29, 2017.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Before my (well deserved) 30 day time out, we were putting together a list of pedals for me. You guys gave me TONS of feedback and I appreciate it. I had zero pedals in my 30 year bass career before this.

Here's what I wound up with.

Boss Tuner pedal (old trusty) - but might swap it our later for something better

EHX Black Finger - will sometimes be a compressor as designed. Sometime set below clip as a tube tone warmer - depends on the band

Aguilar Octomizer - thuddy low octave under brighter high octave

EHX Soul Food (JHS Bread and Butter mod) - little bit o' dirt (bass boost switch on this one is brilliant)

MXR M81 EQ to use as a stomp box (not always on) to fatten up my bridge pickup soloed. It's a Duncan NYC 5 at the bridge (passive with only volume and tone) that sounds too burpy by itself. Fattened up with the M81 it doesn't nail the MM tone, but it gets in the ballpark.

Rolls Red Square DI in case I go direct from this rig to the board. I usually won't. But it will be there in case I (or anyone else in the band) need it.

Cioks AC10 to power it all up - will mount underneath

Pedaltrain Novo 18 to set 'em on....and a little room to grow :cool:

I think it's a good pedal noob start to see which direction this journey will take me.

The obvious question, as always, is what order to put the effects in.

Whataya think?

Thanks!

gregmon79 likes this.
  2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Right to left, left to right, up or down, that's all you man. The order you presented is nearly perfect - the comp could go after the dirt or right where it is.

3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks for your input.

4. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    ... Read again; If you really want MM tone, use the M81 first, Octaver 2nd...

Because it's the Black Finger and you like the Tube warmth (it's awesome!) it might make tracking a bit unstable on the Octamizer when the gain is higher. But it might not, and it might sound awesome that way. If it were me I would be open to switching those two around in a few settings to be sure which to commit to.

The last is the dirt.

It's a great start!

two fingers likes this.
  5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Juan Aldarete is a big proponent of placing dirt before octavers to make the octave sound bigger. With that in mind, I'd go tuner > Soul Food > Black Finger > Octamizer, and experiment with the placement of the EQ to see what works best. If the octave doesn't track well, move it before the dirt pedals.

two fingers likes this.
  6. nnnnooo fuzz :(?

two fingers likes this.
  7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Not yet.... There's plenty of room on the board.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    jazznrick likes this.
  8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The big variable to me (an inexperienced pedal guy) is tracking on the octaver. I suppose whatever comes before that can really mess with it. The question is, is "messing with it" a good thing or a bad thing?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

Good to be back. :thumbsup:
    Thanks

petrus61 and FilterFunk like this.
  11. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    ^What he said!

two fingers likes this.
  12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What I said after him!
    :D

FilterFunk likes this.
  13. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I'd personally place the comp before the Octaver, as it sends it a more steady signal depending on whether you're using it as an actual compressor or a boost/dirt pedal.

Spidey2112 and two fingers like this.
  14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How about the dirt and EQ stomp? Before or after those two?

15. petrus61

I'd put the EQ first and the dirt after the Octaver. How I run mine is: pre/EQ>comp>oct>dirt.

Of course, there are no rules and my setup is designed to deliver a predictable signal, so ymmv. As a matter of practicality though, I'd recommend it.

two fingers likes this.
  16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Cool Thanks!

Yeah just like when I dipped my toe in the effects pool to begin with, I'm mainly looking for a practical starting point.

petrus61 likes this.
  17. petrus61

I remember just before your brief departure you were asking about HPF's. Have you given that anymore thought? I'm not currently running my octaver, but am using a HPF and I use it last in my signal chain (same as I laid out).

18. Johnny Mac

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    With analog octavers, a big part of it is your technique. They're monophonic, so things like excess string noise will cause it to track incorrectly as could odd noise coming from pedals before it in the chain.

Dirt is reportedly okay. I mentioned up thread that Juan Aldarete (formerly of The Mars Volta, check out his Pedals and Effects channel on Youtube) really likes dirt in front of octavers, reason being that the added harmonics from the dirt make the octave hit harder, whereas most dirt pedals can't handle the low end from the octaver and compress too much. The best thing to do would just be to try both and see what you like more.

Modulation and time-based stuff would probably get glitchy, but you don't have any of that.

19. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That is one area where I'm a bit overwhelmed with info, honestly. Did a ton of reading and watching videos while I was away. Is there much (or any) difference between a speaker sin and a combination HPF/LPF set to normal speaker frequency ranges? Or is that essentially what a speaker sim is?

20. Johnny Mac

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    A speaker sim will low-pass and high-pass frequencies, but they usually sculpt the frequencies in between to emulate a particular cabinet or speaker. The HPF/LPF pedals are usually just the filters, no other EQ.

two fingers and petrus61 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021