1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ok---got the top off

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Mike Arnopol, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Got the top off my 50's Roth without incident. Now to dumb question#2. How do I get the old cleats off and clean out the glue in the cracks? I was totally petrified getting the top off. Worked really slowly and have a minimum of chips. So now to removing cleats, cleaning and fabricating the "paisley" patch.

2. kurt ratering

kurt ratering

Dec 2, 2008
    waltham, mass.
    bass luthier, johnson string inst.
    since no one else is chiming in ill give you my .02. what i usually do is use a chisel to split off as much of the cleat as i safely can, and soak the rest with water untill the glue is soft enough to scrape the rest off. soak the cracks as well to remove the old glue and clean them out. sometimes its helpful to use a little peroxide diluted with water to bubble the crud out. im sure there are other ways, but thats what i do...

3. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I put a new cleat on the very top of the crack, before working on it. This helps to keep the crack from splitting further. (hopefully).

Also, I tend to focus on one crack at a time; having too many open cracks, can make for a fragile top.

4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    congrats!
    0601-complicated-bra_li.

oh....maybe i should have read more.

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver