Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok guys heres goes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, May 20, 2004.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Alright after carefull consideration debating about the behringer bx3000t i dont think i want it heres why!! Ok 300 watts@4ohms for 230$ great deal bit im worried about its quality. Should i sacrifce quality over price or visa versa? If i dont get this amp will it be a big mistake? Ive done searches on the forum about it and many people like it but im a little edgey. If i dont get it id like an anp around the same range 200-400 wattsat 4 ohms BI-AMPED i looked into the ashdown MAG300 and then found out its not bi-amped and that turned me off realy quick. What do you ugys think stay with the behringer or look somewher else?? Music123 has a peavey nitrobass for 431$ free shipping? Maybe o well hope you guys can help!!! :bassist:

2. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    if you have a chance just try all possible amps that you can afford,and get the one which made you feel good.
    before trying,it might be a good idea to do a little research about different makes.
    my opinion you shouldnt sacrifice the quality.

3. If you're looking for a head, you might want to look into the Peavey Firebass (not the nitrobass) used. Check out eBay, for example. You should be able to pick one up on there for just over $300, and it's rated at 700W at 2 ohms, 525W at 4 ohms. It's also Bi-Ampable. That just might be your best bang for the buck head.

As for Bi-amping, all you need is something that has a line/headphone output. If youre wanting to send selected frequencies to another amp, you need an amp that has a crossover selection (like the Firebass). However, on the Firebass, plugging a cable into the Low Output won't defeat the lows from the power amp circut: you'll still hear lows when you ad a cab to the firebass speaker outputs on the back.

There aren't a whole lot of bassists out there that bi-amp their gear, and if you're really concerned about costs, you shouldn't even think about bi-amping. What gear do you already have? How much money do you have to spend? Once you answer these, a lot of people on these boards (including me) will be able to help you better.

4. Watts arent everything. A lesser powered amp will sound louder if its through a more efficient cab and/or more cabs too. I think the days of needing to bi-amp stuff is gone too, for bass at least. I personally dont have anything against behringer or peavey equipment but it may worth something of higher quality thats got less on it...Ive always stuck with Trace Elliot stuff but i guess that may be a little outside your price range, look on ebay maybe...

5. I totally agree with you. I gig with a Nemesis 2x10 combo (200W) and add a seperate cab (which increases the overall impedance, lowering the total output power), and it's plenty loud for 200+ venues. I just wasn't sure how much power he needed.

xb100, if you're willing to spend a little closer to $500, your options open up a LOT (especially if you're willing to buy used). You can still go with a head, like a Ampeg SVT3, or you could go with a preamp/poweramp setup. You should be able to pick up a used Sansamp RBI, a QSC 800W (bridged mono) power amp, and a rack case for about $500. Another cheap option is the Ashdown MAG 300H, a 300W head for 300 bucks. I could go on and on with options, but it would be more useful to you if you went out to a guitar shop and tested out some gear for yourself. Bottom line; no matter what a piece of paper or people say about an amp, your should let your ears decide what amp sounds best to you.

6. Truth being if you do have a good efficient cab and a "reasonable" amp, one cab should be fine. I have a Trace Elliot V4 and run it mainly through a Peavey 410TVX. I never lack Steam however the same amp through the "Manky Monitor" at my local venuce it does virtually nothing, enclosure efficiency is as important as amplifier watts. Having said that, none of this really matters, as jarros says, go out and test some different rigs and listen.

7. I play an Ampeg B2R (350 @ 4 Ohms) and just for grins was comparing it to the Peavy Nitro Bass the other day, (450 @ 4 Ohms) and found out that the extra 100 watts didnt translate into very much more db of volume at all. There was a huge difference in tone between the two (I played them both through my own GK 410 cabs (2 for 4 ohm total) and then played them both through a single Peavy 410 4 ohm cab)....and actually I preferred the tone of the Ampeg. I also was taught a very valuable lesson by the bass tech at the store (Sound Town - Denver CO) that what you hear when you stand right in front of your rig is drastically different from what you'll hear 50 feet out front. For example, I hate it when my rig sounds "plinky" and "clicky" with each pluck of the strings, so Ive fallen into the habit of dropping my mids and cranking my lows. Sounds great onstage, sounds like mud out in the house. He showed me that by being willing to tolerate those yucky onstage midrangey tones and actually putting much less bass into the heads EQ, the actual out front sound is awesome and in effect is much "louder" with far more "clarity". And Im able to bring my volume level down as Im no longer trying to be heard through the "mud".
    So having shared all that with everyone, if you can get the Nitrobass for 4 bills, and grab up a 4 ohm cab for reasonable, Id say youll have a very decent rig at a bargain. Im afraid I know nothing about the Behringer, but Peavy's reputation in bass gear is very solid.

Best of luck!

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well i dont mind spending a little more the rig i actually was looking at costs about 700$ i have as of now 250$ but im selling some stuff on the bay to round up some more $$ the determining factor will be how much $$ i have mainly.

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Just played a gig last night with my Behringer 3000 head and Avatar 210. I use an Art LeVelar as a preamp and a BBE 411 in the effects loop. This little rig works great and has plenty of volume for the gigs I play(small clubs/private functions.) The rest of the band likes it because it has a lot of punch and definition. Hey, I would love to have an SVT and 2 4x10 cabs, and one day I will. In the meantime, my 480.00 total rig works great

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

The Peavey Nitrobass doesn't hit 450 watts until you present it with a 2ohm load not 4ohms. At 4ohms you would be getting 300 watts with the Peavey (50 watts less than the Ampeg B2R) not 450.

The fact that you still thought it sounded a little louder than the Ampeg at what in retrospect was basically the same wattage may mean that the Peavey has a more robust power supply than the Ampeg, a different damping factor, a higher capacitor rating or who knows what (or maybe you just had some tone settings slightly different).

FWIW