Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, guys, I need your help BADLY...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Mar 6, 2005.

1. So Victor Wooten is coming to a place called Ziggy's in North Carolina on the 26th or something like that. I need help convincing my parents that going there will be highly helpful to my bass playing skills. Some supportive posts would be helpful. The tickets are 20 bucks a pop, and I'd probably take my dad or my mom. (Yes, I'm a dork, but if it gets me there I don't care.)

I would also like a link to an MP3 of his playing (preferably the most supreme) to show my parents that he is a GREAT player. It'd be appreciated, help a bassist out...

-Brian H.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Why don't you just tell them you want to go, parents see through bs rather easily.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'm thinking he already went that route, by nature of his post, so he needs to come up with more reasons :D. I think seeing teh felcktones is a very inspirational experience personally. I was floored when I saw them live. Listening to cd's is all good and well, but seeing performances where things are aren't doctored by the studio, and the players are being completely natural is something to behold. Even if such a high caliber player makes a rare mistake, you can't even tell because they make it flow into the playing so well and are so in tune with their instrument. $20 to see wooten live is a bargain!

4. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    +1
    Tell them you REALLY want to go.

5. do the bart and lisa thing:

nag them until they let you go

or, tell your mom that she too could be as great as Wooten just by seeing him live....

whatever works

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Tell them it will count as a birthday/xmas/graduation present. ;)

Downside, no presents on your b-day.

It's said that postponing happiness today in favor of happinness tomorrow is a way of being unhappy (something like that)

If all fails, wait until next time he comes around. Vic's still got a lot of years in him.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Dude, Vic is the Man when it comes to modern bass styles. He's a musical genius, probably right up there with where Jaco and Stanley Clarke were in the early 70's. He's got a "bass school", which you can find on his web site, here:

http://www.victorwooten.com/basscamp/instructors.htm

Plus, I suspect that if you played your parents some of his recordings, like Bela Fleck's "UFO TOFU" for instance, they'd be thoroughly amazed. And of course you can download all kinds of stuff from Kazaa and so on, if you're willing to take the internet security risk. I especially like his bootlegs of some of Stevie Ray Vaughn's stuff, where he's doubling himself on that delicious Fodera.

Vic is one of the Gods of bass, IMO. I aspire to be even ten percent as good as he is. :)

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here y'go:

Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm 56 years old and a solid citizen. I hereby testify that your son will benefit greatly from seeing Victor Wooten play in concert. Indeed, Mr. Wooten is one of the premier bass players in the world, and frequently gives clinics on playing throughout the United States. If you would please allow your son to attend the concert, we here at TalkBass would be most gratified in having accomplished our mission of helping a fellow bass player see The Master, as we have done on countless occasions. These opportunities occur very rarely and, while it may not be a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence, it surely will be once in a coon's age. Help us out here.

Sincerely,
    Munjibunga Malthus

p.s. [butthead] hhhhhhehehehh heh heh hheheh ... he said ... "master" ... hhhhhhhhhhehhehhehheheh heh hhhheh [/butthead]

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Vic has lots of great performances, but I highly recommend "More Love" from his first solo album "A Show Of Hands". I like this a lot, not only because of the virtuosistic aspects of his playing, but because it's such a cool and enjoyable tune. If you want, I can send it to your e-mail. Just let me know.

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Well there ya have it..... :D

11. Ok:D

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Munji,

Do you do Christmas cards too? I could really use some help 'round that time of the year.

Thanks.

:D

13. yeah, just play some of their songs to them...that should easily be enough. victor is so amazing i think every bass player should see him play!

14. jedwards

jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Colorado
    Get a job (if you need to raise the $$) and offer to take you parents as a present. After you buy the tickets and explain it would be good to spend some quality time as a family being enriched with culture... Worst case, they will back out and you go with your freinds.

15. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    No way. Me too. :)
    What's your last name?

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No, but I can write very aggressive, nasty letters if you ever need one. It comes from hanging out with too many lawyers.