OK Guys, I need your help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by old_skool, May 16, 2005.

1. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Heres the deal the local music store is blowing stuff out. There are two basses, same price, but COMPLETELY different basses. I am so torn. I like them both and I dont know which one to go with. The two basses are both Fenders. One is a 51 reissue P bass and the other is a Aerodyne. They both sound, play, and look really good. My main bass is a 2005 Jazz bass with the S1 switching, which is always on. I most after a punchy growly bass. Either one will work with my band but Im trying to think further down the line. I love to listen to and play all kinds of music. Ive included a line with some of our recordings. ANY info is appreciated, I have until Thursday to decide. If I think of anything else Ill post it. Thanks a tone guys!

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you can only have one, I would recommend the Aerodyne if you really liked it. To me it sounded great, was quite versatile, I just couldn't personally get over the radiused top. I would love to have a '51, however they tend to be a little more "one-trick pony" so if you can only afford one, I'd go with the more versatile of the two.
  3. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Bump, anyone else?
  4. Knives

Mar 18, 2005
    Athens, Ga
    Have you had the opportunity to compare the sounds produced by your 2005 Jazz to the Aerodyne? That would be a safe step. If it sounds so similar you cant tell them apart in a double blind test the P bass might be more to your liking if you like dodging monotony.
  5. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I think you have to try out both basses to see if one feels better than the other. I believe the aerodyne neck is similar to the jazz whereby the precision is larger. If you are comfortable with both, decide soundwise which one suits you best.
  6. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Does anyone know how close the placement of the P pup on the P bass is to the position on the Jazz basses?
  7. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    I adore the sound of the '51 P, even with the pu they use in the MIJ model. You have to find the right strings as it can be bright and sometimes brittle. I'm using half wounds which work pretty well. The edges of the slab body can get to be a pain, though. The 54/55 Sting is more comfortable...

I've only played an Aerodyne once, but agree with typlons - nice bass and more versatile. But it may sound similar to your J with the switch on.

Either are both great values, so if you change your mind sell 'em here!

I don't understand your question..

Let us know what you're thinking
  8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I agree. The Aerodyne is great, and I don't think it will sound too similar to your Jazz. I have a Jazz with the S-1 switching too, which is great, but it doesn't produce a true Precision sound when engaged. (Nor could it considering the different pickup spacing.) The Aerodyne, on the other hand, will give a real Precision tone from the neck pickup, and you can dial in the J for more cut and definition. With the Aerodyne and your Jazz, you'll have a wide spectrum of awesome Fender tones. Nothing wrong with that!
  9. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Right now Im leaning towards the Aerodyne. It seemed like such an obvious choice to go with the Aerodyne but the P really has stuck in the back of my mind. Its just a very unique looking bass and has a really cool vibe to it. It seems as if I would actually be closer to the sound of a Jazz bass with the position and design of the pup on the P, correct me if you think Im wrong. Its also kind of a beast in terms of weight. I tend to like a chunkier neck but I could see it being a bit too much and becoming uncomfortable. The Aerodyne is a very light bass, which will be a welcome change. Both have rough contours so it doesnt really matter there. I think the Aerodyne looks very sleek but my other two basses are of the Jazz persuasion also. I think the hardware looks a little cheap also. Im just kind of worried of having two of the same bass with the Aerodyne in respects of my other Jazz. The P pup on it will be very cool to have in my arsenal. When I bought my Jazz a couple months ago I played the Aerodyne afterwards and almost wished for a second I would have played that first. Im not VERY pleased with my jazz but it seems like something to take into account. Im sooo torn over this, guys, Ive gone back and forth from day to day. Im glad theres a TB though, you guys understand what Im going threw. Ive asked everyone from my Mom to ex-girlfriends. Again, any input is welcome!

Sorry for the long postÂ…kinda thinking out loud.
  10. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    I would go with the 51. I've tried both, and one of my friends has a Ishibashi 51 with a Basslines SCPB-1 in it. I believe the Ishibashi models come with the Basslines pickup, but I could be wrong.

Bottom line, is that the 51 can be very bright if played with stainless rounds and most of the modern cabs on the market. His 51 is strung with DR Sunbeams and the bass is very reactive to your finger placement as well as finger attack.

We went amp shopping with the bass, and after trying various rigs, he eventually settled on a SVP-PRO - Peak 800 power amp - Hartke VX410. He has disconnected the tweeter on the 410.

The sound? Lots of good grind, but not in that strident "Dookie" era Green Day tone. Suits a variety of tunes from rock to alternative and soul. His band plays anything from Stone Temple Pilots to Al Jarreau and Beyonce. And oh, the look!

The only other problem could be the hum of the single coil, but he has managed to reduce it somewhat by adding a pickup cover and re-shielding the control cavity.

The Aero is a nice bass too, but the fingerprints! You could leave the 51 uncleaned and it would not show prints that easily.
  11. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I would say P bass because you already have a Jazz and that means EVEN MORE versatility
  12. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Quote "but my other two basses are of the Jazz persuasion also. I think the hardware looks a little cheap also."

With that statement the P bass became the only choice for me. If you already have 3 Jazz basses a P would be a nice addition.
    The one trick pony factor won't mean as much with the others for backup. Besides it sounds like you making your Jazz's sound like P's so why not just get a P?
  13. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    How do you guys feel these compare to the US made Fenders? Again, ANY info on these is very valued right now. Thanks for all the posts guys!
  14. gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Very much me, but I prefer the MIJ basses to the MIA basses NEW. Used, it's a matter of individual instuments.

I'll go out on a limb and recomend this - sell your J and buy the Aerodone and the '51.

You've noticed that no one is telling you either bass is do-do.
    A tough choice, but no wrongs..

I have considered replacing the pup in the '51 with a Basslines but haven't gotten there yet.