Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok, guys...i'm in a bind

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by neptoon, Dec 29, 2003.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    but it's a good bind! kind of...truth is, i think i'm pretty clueless...i'm about to re-enlist (yeah, again...re-re-enlist, mebbe?) and i'm gettin' a pretty honkin' huge bonus to do the job i'm going to be doing until they kick me out anyway...here's what i'm looking at: i want to get a bass that will be able to do it all, well, most of it, anyway. i'm REALLY wanting to get an mtd 535 primavera body, maple neck and board...but i've always wanted to get one of the older tobias 6 string basses. i really love the tone that robert trujillo got on the old infectious grooves albums. they also have the new tobias basses that gibson is coming out with. they sound like they may really be cool. one of the other things i've gone and done is enlist the assistance of bill conklin, and i've got a pretty good quote on a 6 string custom; swamp ash body, burled redwood top, wenge/purpleheart neck/wenge board, and the "turner" upper horn, and the highly carved/contoured option. the only thing i'm having to work around on the conklin is the size of the body...stock, they are just way too honkin' large for my 1 meter tall frame. i know, bill can and will do anything in the world for a customer, but i'm entertaining so many options i feel like i'm in a whirlwind. and the truth of the matter is, with the bonus i'm getting, i could probably just buy every bass i mentioned, buy a pjb rig, but both of my kids through college and be done with it, but i hate having a metric wharf-ton (inside joke) of basses. just one or two bomb-ass boomsticks for me pleez. and trust me, i'm an expert on bombs and boomsticks...ok, sorry for the rant, if anyone at all read it... ;)

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's a hell of a bind.

I can help with that, y'know? Divert funds and whatnot. No money, no temptation, no temptation, no dilema.

Ergo: Neptoon - (Money + Brendan's Wallet) = Solution.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A custom Conklin would be sweet, if you can get one with a smaller body.

You should also check into Nordstrand. Carey is my favorite custom builder right now. His stuff is really top notch, and compares to anything out there, regardless of price.

If you go the Tobias/MTD route, I think a pre Gibby 6 would be sweet. One of the nicest 6 stringers ever, IMHO. Almost the Stradivarius of basses.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    thanks, jeff....brendan....no...and don't even think about muggin' me, man....i got your coordinates :D

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    do you guys remember that tobias 6 string that geshel had a while back? man, i would love to get my monkey around that thing heheh

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I am talking about. I would love to find a pre Gibson Signature 6. YEAH!

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    no kiddin'...that thing was in cherry condition, too....

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, i saw that too...jeez, i'm missing these things right and left...there's one on bassgear.com, though that i'm gonna check out :D