1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok guys need your help for this one...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Deacon, Feb 27, 2008.

1. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    Well, need a new bass. Im going to give you a rundown of what I was looking at and my thoughts on each one, and I want to hear all of your opinions. Ready?

1. 2008 New American Standard P bass

Kind of a hollow tone, but nice. Neck is a bit big for my liking, but the tone is kinda what I want for that Queen sound. Very straightforward. 1 volume, 1 tone. Not too keen on price but can do.

2. 2008 New American Jazz Bass

Awesome sound, love the neck. Possibly best sound I have heard. But still lacking the P bass sound I want. It comes close to it those, and does have a very smooth tone. Not too keen on the price but can do.

3. Mexican Standard P bass

I have played this one once or twice, and sounds pretty similar to the new American. Affordable

4. Mexican Standard Jazz

I have yet to play this one, so if anybody has their opinions I would love to hear them. How close is the sound to the new American jazz? Affordable

5. Vintage Modified Precision Telecaster Bass

Lots of low end, but I kinda dig the sounds, very smooth. Reminds me of a jazz. I was told not to get it by a professional, but damn, it sounds pretty good. Cant remember what the neck was like. Is it satin finished? Is it like a jazz where it is tapered? Very affordable.

Ok, keep in mind, that I need a new amp and that will cost me about 600. And I also need to put around 300 in for half of a PA system. Give me all your opinions guys. Thanks!

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Why no MIJ Ps or Js? Good middle ground between the MIA and MIM basses in price and ARGUABLY play and sound just as good as their MIA counterparts.

3. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Those are a lot of options. I wouldn't splash out on one of the American basses unless I was certain about P vs J. You need both by the way :)

I think you should buy a used P/J and revisit the question in one year!