OK here we go, intro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oldie but noobe, Feb 23, 2005.

1. I just picked up an old beater 5 string Peavey. I have never played bass before, but I have been fooling arround with a guitar about a year. I love the Blues and Jazz

I don't even know where to begin tuning so my first question are what are the strings from 5-1 ? :bag:

I was wondering if I should even keep this Peavey. Tell me what you think. It is a Peavey USA Dyna Bass S# 02840350
    It has plenty of dings It has feritte PUPS I guess active

It has 2 large knobs and three small ones and a mini switch

All the knobs are working but are crackling a lot and there is a big circuit board in the way in the cavity how would I move the board to clean the pots out with some cleaner

I only paid 170.00 with a case so I will not get hurt

I will do my best but my spelling is poor please don't get offended

PS I will be playing through my Vox AD 15 VT guitar amp will this hurt anything?
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Most 5 strings are tuned to B E D A G, from lowest to highest string. Some are tuned to E A D G C, but thats not common unless it was custom built or converted.

Basses are tuned in 4ths, all the way across.

I can't comment on the bass, but if its active, replace the 9V battery with a new one, see if that helps the crackling. If not, then its likely a short someplace that needs re-soldering.

As for your guitar amp, its quite possible it will do fine, its also possible it could ruin your speakers with the low B. Guitar amps arent made to support those frequencies usually, but some do ok.
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Try turning the knobs back and forth repeatadly to get rid of the crackling sound. Alot of time dirt gets in the pots, causing that sound. If that doesn work spray some electronic cleaner on the base of the shafts...then repeat turning the knobs.

I would also invest a bass amp...you could damage your amp.
  4. As for the controls, my first guess would be one of the larger ones is the master volume, the other larger one is to adjust the output you're getting from each pickup (in the middle you're getting both, and all the way to one side you're only getting one, depending on which direction you turn it). The three smaller ones are most likely the tone controls, bass, middle, and treble. The switch could be a passive/active switch (not using the battery and overriding the tone controls in the passive position) or it might be a midrange boost/cut switch. I actually don't know exactly what that is :p but I'm guessing it has something to do with the midrange...
  5. Perhaps fresh new strings and a professional set up will get you on the right track with the instrument. If you don't mind the $35-$50 for new strings and set up I really recommend it.
  6. C'mon! You guys are slackin'! :D

I can't believe nobody picked up that mistake! It is B-E-A-D-G.
  7. Definitely clean the pots out. you cen get that stuff especially for pots at Radio Shack for about 6 bucks. New strings, replace the 9V and you'll be good to go. A professional setup as mentioned is a GREAT idea...and most people do it relatively cheap if you buy strings from them and have them put on.

Definitely look into buying a cheap used bass amp. That low B, and the active pickups could DEFINITELY hurt regular guitar speakers.

Welcome to bass guitar!!! Heaven awaits you.
  8. Just having some fun with the noobe I guess.

I busted the D string trying to tune it :oops: :D. One of my buddies tossed me a set of Knucklehead Strings and another guy is going to help me with the setup.

Thanks to all for the welcome and the help