Ok, here's a question...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by EriktheRed, Nov 24, 2022 at 8:34 AM.

1. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    Why are there some thumb rests set under the strings?

How is it used?

[​IMG]

2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Commercial User

Sep 16, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Retail store manager
    It’s called a tug bar. Hook a finger or two under it and play with your thumb.

iiipopes, One Way and DrThumpenstein like this.
  3. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I believe that’s the original position that Leo Fender designated for the tugboat to be. It makes sense for thumb players.

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  4. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  5. If you're Jimi, it's a thumb rest. :smug:

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    That was an idea from 60 years ago

gebass6 likes this.
  7. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Hey, that ain’t so bad. I was an idea from 64 years ago….:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Seriously, couldn’t resist. Happy Thanksgiving!…:D

8. BlueRock

BlueRock

Oct 6, 2022
    It was integral to Joey Spampinato's technique and I've seen Pino doing it in the Mayer trio. Monk Montgomery was doing it in 1953 and might be why Fender installed it. More recently Michael Rhodes uses it a lot. Lots of people still do.

It's a softer attack that's actually difficult to get with your fingertips.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Eh. Lol. Happy thanksgiving

10. jimmydean

jimmydean

Mar 14, 2009
    I thought there was some slick Tug Bar salesman that talked Leo Fender into a really large order of parts .

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't use a tug bar. But hooking my fingers around the bottom of my pickup and us9ng the side of my thumb to pluck is among the many plucking hand techniques I use frequently.

12. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    It is named a finger rest. That is the original position. It remained in that spot until well into the seventies. It was shifted to the bass side of the strings and rechristened as a thumb rest by a CBS era marketing guy.

Leo Fender was not a player. His original ideas for the bass guitar were to enable guitar players to find more work. He imagined the fixture would give guitarists a convenient spot to anchor their hand while playing with their thumb Wes Montgomery style.

Is it coincidence that his brother, Monk Montgomery, was an early adopter?

Personally, I don’t think he envisioned upright players embracing the instrument. He was correct in that assumption. Almost. It took a few years for them to come around.

“Tug bar” is a nickname of unknown origin.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022 at 3:11 PM
    EriktheRed and kodiakblair like this.
  13. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

It was meant so that you rested your thumb on it with your fingers pointed up at you.
    You plucked the strings with your regular fingers up.

BlueRock likes this.
  14. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Okay….I just hurt myself trying that….:roflmao:

lark_z and gebass6 like this.

15. It requires an extra wrist just north of the existing one. That was more common in the 50s then it is now. :laugh:

Roland GR 88, Oddly and Geri O like this.
  16. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Ahh, so double-jointedness was more common back then….:roflmao:

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  17. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    upload_2022-11-26_8-44-21.png

EriktheRed and Geri O like this.