Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, here's my stupid question of the day.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Mar 16, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    *** is a Speakon connector? Yea yea, I know its a cable jack, that is now available to plug your cabs to your heads/power amps, whatever....

What I really want to know is, what's the difference, why should we want these versus 1/4" jack plugs,, etc...

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    A speakon connection is usually thought of as a twist-loc 4 conductor cable, although not all conductors are usually used, and some speakon's do no require and twisting motion to lock them in (Some have a press release that lets you remove them). I have both varieties of cables lying around the house, but all the cables with the blue ring on them are the twist kind. They are thought of as superior because once locked in, you can snag the cable with your foot or something and it won't come unplugged out of the back of the amp or cab. Also, there is supposed to be more contact area for current to flow though, giving you better power handling ability. I like them a lot, but I don't think they are a requirement. I do feel much more secure about my cables when i use them though. Also, you can easily rewire the end, and they have little screws that hold the wire, instead of actually soldering them to a contact like in a 1/4". Thats about all I can think of. Go to partsexpess.com and do a search on speakon, and you will see some of the cables and terminal cups.
    Wes

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Thx, I wasn't really thinking for, or against them... Just curious as to what propogates thier use... sounds like cable connection security & sound quality...

Basically, I'm think of replacing my combo, w/ a lower end head/cab setup, & was wondering if I should bother with them.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Plus, european electrical codes do not permit the use of "standard" banana plugs as commonly used in the U.S., which causes issues when touring abroad. Speakons are fine with the european system since they prevent accidental shorts. Most amps will not permit a high-power bridged output into a 1/4" inch connector, only banana plugs and speakons.

Speakons are pretty much idiot proof, safe, provides more contact area for higher power applications, and does not require solder for the connections. Frankly, they are ingenious IMO.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    ***, are we having a Columbus Convention? :cool:

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
  7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I should've know...

8. Chances are if you trip on a cord that has speakon connections you will probably drag the amp right off of the speaker cabinet (keeping the cable really short could prevent the amp from crashing to the ground). I could not hear any sonic differences either.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have nothing important to add to the conversation, except to say this: There are no stupid questions, just stupid people. Ask away! :D