Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, here's what Aggie likes.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've had a chance to mess around with the Aggie today and, so far, here's what she likes:

Jazz Bass. If you don't have Jazz Bass, go to bridge pickup.

Bridge pickup. Sounds aggressive.

Tens. Four is good, six is better. I was playing it through my 115/210 practice rig, and it sounds good, but not as good as a 410. That's what the guy was playing it through when I decided my life wouldn't be complete without one.

Zon. The Zon Sonus and DB750 were made for each other.

MOTL.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah it's a big j-bass/copy fan
    i used my axe (86 tobias) thru it and also used an MG genisis j copy and mike lull ja copy thru it - very cool - like getting hit over the head with a baseball bat

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I've also noticed that, unlike Eden, you can actually turn the EQ knobs a quarter turn and still have usable tone. On the Eden, a little dab'll do ya. An eighth of an inch in either direction really changes the tone.

4. Yep, it's like driving a Ferrari or riding a Ducati motorcycle. The controls are almost too responsive.... yet the result, and reward for good technique, is intoxicating.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    after using eden and other similar amps it is definitely a challenge getting over fact than on an aggie, demeter, etc you can turn the knobs all the way up or down and still have usable tone - i remember doing it and having to fight back anxiety as i turned the mid knob all the way up :p

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Can you start gigging this thing some time soon. I put more weight on gig reviews.

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Heh... I find myself boosting the mids quite a bit too. I have both parametric EQ level controls around 3 o'clock, boosting at 350Hz and 1.1kHz... Gives my Spector a beefier sound.

Also, it's good to hear that Aggies like Jazz Basses. I've had my eyes on a Lakland Skyline JO5, but I don't have any way to try it through my rig. The store I've played it at only had the usual Ampegs and SWRs. :meh:

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lol - i love boosting 350 hz, it's really an unsung hero
    i dunno how well the 680 loves the jazz bass as the preamp in the 750, they are quite different (yes lockout i know what you use, you GAS inducing bastard ;) ), but i think your amp will do just fine, i remember plugging basses right into the aggie tube poweramp sans preamp and the TONE, oh lawd the TONE........ :)

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Aggie LOVES Fender Jazz Deluxe FMT V. I plugged it in for the first time tonight. I will gig this combo next.

10. bassvegas

bassvegas

Jul 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    checked out the AG 500 today at the Bass Place in Scottsdale. The quick review is; respectfully, it is off my short list. I compared it with a DB 750 and an Eden WT550 - all going through a Bergantino HT 322 using a MM Bongo Bass with a little bottom dialed in. Not a Thunderfunk to be found.

The AG 550 had good power and good mid range focus, but when I tried to dial in some bottom - expecting the sweet Aguilar low end - I was disappointed. It lacked definition, was unfocused, and overall lack the Aggie buttery fatness. I own a DB 680 / DB 728 set up and a DB359 (as well as an Eden WT400), so I am familiar with the Aguilar vibe, but I could not dial it in with AG 500. I switched over to the DB 750, dialed in similar settings and volume, and whoa, there was the low end I was expecting. When I listen to the DB 750 at NAMM a few years ago, I was unimpressed, but now I wouldn't mind adding it to the arsenal ;). IMHO the 750 is not quite as buttery as its tube brothers, but nice....real nice. BTW, Wow, the HT322 really delivered the low end goods - the NV610 did not. :meh: Unfortunately there were no NV215 or NV425 there to try out. :crying: The WT550 had the familiar Eden sound similar to my WT400, which I like, but the DB 750 blew it away as well (power rating not withstanding), in overall tone; quickness with a tight low end and midrange focus.

I've read where others raved about the AG 500. I don't doubt their sincerity or assessment. ;) Heck, I didn't care for the DB 750 when I first heard it - now I want one. Go figure. So, like everything else, you need to take this opinion with a grain of salt. Obviously the environment and the equipment combination have everything to do with the outcome. I'm just a regular guy in a music store :bassist: checking stuff out. Check it out for yourself. I hope this is somewhat helpful.

11. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    +1 Yes, Yes, a very nice combination and one with which I am very happy. (well, in my case a Custom and a DB 680. Oh, and tens!)

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I must be really tired, because for a second there it sounded like Munji found something that might replace his Eden stockpile. :eyebrow:

13. Munj, I must have missed what Aggie did you get....?

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    He got an Aggie DB-750 head

15. DB750, Thanks.
    Wow I'm suprised that this amp didn't rock the NV610 in spades. I know the 322 probably goes lower but my nv610 has massive lows and punch with the Crest CA9/Demeter201S and also my Walter Woods Ultra. :meh:

16. bassvegas

bassvegas

Jul 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I was suprised too! I've been following your comments as well as others on the 610 and I was really looking forward to firing one up. :meh: Don't know what to make of it. Maybe I needed to work the eq a little more to dial it in. I'll give it another go when I check out the Bergie dealer in Reno next month.They should have the 425 & 215 as well. :eyebrow:

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'm starting to like the Aggie more and more. I've cut the mids and boosted the highs just a bit, and it seems to have more punch. With the mids at 400 hz, cut might be a good thing. It's a little muddy with 400 hz boosted. I boost the mid on my Lakland at 700 hz, and that puts a little bite into it. Now I don't need to go all the way back to the bridge pickup to some growl.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, Aggie also likes Yamaha TRB5-PII. So far, I get my favorite tones out of this combo. The piezo pickups add some much-needed bite. Now it's full-sounding across the entirefrequency range.

19. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi,

Currently I use the DB728/db680 with a Bergantino nv610...I agree that the NV610 isn't as deep as the modern ported cabs, but it cuts really great in a mix and never gets boomy unlike many of the modern cabs. With the NV610 you don't get the big bottom but you get a cab that really rules in a live situation. :bassist:

20. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Munji, if you ever decide to get some aggie cabs to go with the DB750, try some 12's. I know you did not like the Eden 12's, but Aguilar makes some great cabs. They compliment the Eden 10's very well.