Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok how bout this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Aug 9, 2005.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright, im replacing my setup for a small portable one for under $900 (some will be used). and this is what ive come up with.

qsc rmx1450
    bbe bmax
    6 space rack (more rack stuff will come later)

so thoughts? i want it to be really punchy but able to hold the lows. i dont use much mid. will the bmax work for me?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well..if you insist on FiElDy eq'ing (highs and lows, with no mids),
    you better be prepared to use a TON of power and alot more than a 210. Mids is where the bass is heard, and where it cuts through a mix.

3. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah ive got a ampeg 410 hlf right now, so im used to lots of power, would it be smarter to go 212 and get a 210 later? i kinda wanted the 210 first, but whatever i gotta do i gotta do

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Depends on the sound you are looking for really. For a standalone cab, I prefer a 212 to a 210. Unfortunately, small, light, powerful and loud rigs are pretty hard to come buy on a budget. Avatar has its fans, but I don't think you'll be happy with a mid scooped sound out of a single 210.

5. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    ok well ill figure out something, but this thread was kinda intended to be for the head. i have a regular head right now, but i want to get a pre/power rack. so im new to the whole idea, and im not really sure if what ive got picked up there is the best for what i want to play. i want punchy with plenty of lows, doesnt have to be really super powerful, as im not playing in bands much at all.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    First off.... GET THE 212 FIRST. It'll be much more well-rounded to stand alone than a 210 will.

Second... I currently have an RMX in a 6U rack just like you want. And you know what? ITS DAMN HEAVY! In fact, it will probably weigh almost as much as your 212 cab, if you get certain gear. I would look for a used PLX amp, if you can find one. And if you cant, then you should look for a lightweight rack, or just settle for a 4U. I'd bet you could pick up a PLX for a good price though.

7. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    ok for the cab i think i decided to spring the money to stick with a 410. but as far as the qsc being to heavy, well im gonna be buying a rack case off ebay, and at the moment theres a 6 space cheaper than any 4 space they have, so i might spring for that and just live with it, but if i find a cheaper 4 space i might go for that. would it be a problem if i filled all 4 spaces? cause i plan to a get a korg rack tuner in the near future. would that be a problem for heat? or should i definitly go with 4 space because of weight?

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The thing with tuners, conditioners and preamps is that they dont go too far deep into the rack.... so the only think in your rack going all the way to the rear would be the power amp. It should be fine, really. QSC's are efficient, and have good fan cooling systems. Also it would probably help to put the Power amp on the bottomf so that the heat would rise up and away from the amp.

A 4U would be way more practical, unless you really need 6 spaces. I know I regret purchasing my 6U, no matter how nice and protective it is. :meh:

9. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah, the idea of a 4u seems bettre to me. now i gotta find one for cheap, as this is a very budget rig. im getting the power amp for under 200 and the pre for about 250. and im trying to get a rack for under 40 bucks. but this is all supposing i sell the amp i have. its so hard to ship a ampeg 410 hlf so i gotta go local, and its not been good. but i should be selling my head soon so ill be ordering the head stuff shortly.