Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, how good are the Avatars, really?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by huskies90, Jun 1, 2005.

1. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Alright. I did a lot of searches and it is clear that everyone loves their avatars. From what I can gleen from the many posts is that they are the best cab for the money sound wise. But how do they really compare to a top end cab? I have two Edens now and love the sound. I played the SWR pro series and I love those too. I am looking to add another cab and I am wondering can the Avatar play ball with the Edens or are they in a different league? I am sure there are a lot of folks out here have owned both.

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    As good as the avatars are suppposed to be, I would think the Edens would smack them around a bit. But then again, Edens are HUGE and HEAVY.

3. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    I've owned Epifani, and I currently own two Aguilar GS-212's and two Avatar B410 Neo's. Avatar makes a very nice cab for the money. Only your ears can tell you what you need to know, and my ears like my Avatars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Eden, SWR, Bagend, ect. are going to be better cabinets, but Avatars are just as good as GK, Hartke, Peavey, and yes, even Ampeg, IMO.

5. I've got an Avatar 2x10 that I use as part of a practice set up. I love the way it's voiced, it's got a low-mid bump that reminds me a bit of Ampeg, but with a cleaner tone. I keep the tweeter off, because it's too harsh. The cab's tone is a nice contrast to my Acme B4. I recommend it, especially for the $$.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I love my Avatar B212 enough that it's the only cab i'm not selling before college. The 2X10 hurt to sell-that cab is great for times where i needed a lighter/smaller cab, and the 1X15 was nice. The B212 though, holy crap. I used it for loud rock/metal, church [contemporary], upright bass, passive fender w/flats, my ray5 w/rounds. It did it all with ease and sounded good. The only thing i remotely dislike about is that it weighs around 70 pounds-but it's a 2X12 not a 1X8. :) FWIW, i have played through an Eden 2X10 and thought it sounded amazing-i'd take an Eden 2X10 over my Avatar 2X10, but it probably costs at least double.

That's all

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

They are really good! I own a 2x10 & a 1x12. I had a 1x15 but sold it due to the size and weight (I ain't no young'un)! For the money, you can't go wrong. I think the the only thing that is keeping it from hanging with the big boys is it's tweeter and connector panel. A lot of folks don't dig the rat fur either but a lot cabs have the rat fur!

8. Yup, pull the rat fur off and tolex it, and you'll have a right handsome cabinet.

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    You will not find a better cab for the money than Avatar...and that's the key.

You could spend hundreds more for a Bergantino, Aggie, Epifani, etc, but then you start getting into the "law of diminishing returns", IMO.

Those are all excellent cabs, but I get very good tone for a lot less money with my Avatars.

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Damn, ain't it the truth. These days the gap grows ever slimmer. Eminence makes a damn good off the shelf product. However, the Avatar dosen't have the driver voiced specifically for the design goal, its a cabinet designed around a stock driver, with a equally "stock" or normal little squalker and primitive cross-over network. You get what you pay for. And apparently you get more than enough for your money with Avatar. Kudos.

I'm going to get an Avatar 2-12 and use the bi-amp system in my GK1001-II to run straight into the horn bypassing the stock x--over and going in @5K. Sweet.

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's my understanding that Eminence custom makes the drivers for Avatar. X-max is at least 50% longer than the stock Eminence speakers....and I agree that the "chink in the armor" is the tweeter crossover, however there's a nifty litle mod in the thread "If You Have an Avatar, Then You Need One of These". Takes care of the tweeter issue, and the tone is a lot more robust. Search it out....and good luck.

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've heard it is possible to wire the Avatar tweeter's to draw power from the speakon jack the way the GK HMS does. Anyone know how hard that is to do?

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Here are my thoughts (I have a front-ported 4x10 Avatar):

Construction: Quite solid and well-built. Heavy, but not any heavier than an Eden or other similarly-featured/styled cabs. I've gigged mine a bunch and it is my main cab. It has held up quite well, even after having been rolled on its casters across parking lots, stages, etc. No rattles or anything to speak of and no maintenance has been required of its structure.

speakers: If you like Eminence speakers (which I most certainly do), you know what you'll get. I really like the tone I get from mine and, though there are those who have complained about a lack of low end, it suits me just fine the way it is.

tweeter: This is the achilles heel, IMHO. Granted, costs had to be cut somewhere, and this is where those cuts rear their head. Because of the cheap crossover and the tweeter itself, the tweeter is pretty easy to blow and it is harsh. I only set mine at 2 notches because anything higher is just too tinny for my tastes. In fact, the ONLY thing that has stopped me from buying another Avatar is the fact that I want to get another 4x10 (or a 2x10) with a good crossover and tweeter to use as the sole tweetered cab when stacking with my Avatar (meaning that I would actually turn the tweeter off on my Avatar).

So, in the end, they are excellent cabs for the money, but if the price goes up substantially, there will need to be some upgrades, especialy to the tweeter.

For reference, I have owned the following:

SWR 8x8
    Carvin 1x15 (replaced speaker with an Ashdown)
    Ampeg 2x10
    Genz-Benz 4x10 (which I returned - it was a 4 ohm and just didn't work out for me)

14. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have the Avatar 1x15 and 2x10. As previous posts have mentioned, the tweeter isn't that great. BUt because there are a couple of approaches to replacing them that have been posted here on TB, I replaced my tweeter and Xover. It's a great sounding combination - I get incredible depth out of the 1x15 and good mid and high out of the 2x10 w/modded tweeter. If anything, I could use a better amp to power them.

15. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I have a 210 Kappa Pro. It is a good cab, but I'm planning on replacing it with something that better suites my needs. It doesn't have enough low end for my taste, it is pretty heavy, and I would like a cab that is more efficient.

I have a good day job and don't mind spending money on new gear. I figured that the Avatar was worth a shot. I was hoping to use it as a stand alone cab for medium size gigs. I still had to use it with a SWR 15 to get the deep low end that I like on stage, but it did give me tons of punch and my rig was of course much louder (powering the 210 with a Mackie 1400i). If you don't need huge low end and don't mind lugging around the weight, this is a great cab. I'm planning on selling it if anyone is interested.

16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

An Avatar 1x12 or 2x12 would really help here. Not sure if any or many 2x10's (by any manufacture) out can even do a true low B....

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Acme LowB2. Probably the only one though. Heck most 15s can't do 31hz.

18. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Very true...and this starting to leave the frequency realm of "hearing" and more to "feeling" anyway

19. I like mine!

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had myself an Avatar SB112, and it was an excellent cabinet. I wanted to hear the Epifani hype for myself and see if it was really worth the extra $$. So, I acquired an Epifani NYC T-112, and it was most excellent.

I played them side by side for quite a long time. To me, the Epifani is worth it. There are differences in the cabs. I sold the Avatar, and kept the Epifani. Wherever I go gear wise in the future, I will always have an Epifani in my possession.

-Mike