ok I got my new rig but I need more power

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by violatedppl, Aug 8, 2005.

1. As I said I got a peavey 412 and really like the tone, it could use a little more highs but it handles a low be very well. but the cab is power hungery. I use a tmax at 350 watts and 4 ohm, and the amp clips at around 4-5 on my master. I sort of need more volume out of it, as it would be nice not having to worry about my amp clipping. just wondering if I should get a power amp to run the cab through the line out of the tmax, or sell the tmax and get a pre/power set which I dont really have the money for at this point. I would be looking at spending $300 at the max (only work part time and have to pay for gas and school, gas pricing are killing my fun time :crying: ) oh and the cab will handle 600 continous and 1200 peak I was thinking of running about 1,000 watts into it for head room it thats at all possible
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well if 300$ is your max I suggest getting a qsc rmx 850. You can bridge the power amp to put 830 watts @ 4 ohms . I think that would be good enough. Thats about the only good power amp your ganna get for that price unless you look used.
  3. +1 but if you can stretch out $400 you can get the RMX1450
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The XLS series from Crown is in that price range also. I used a 602 for a bit. Nice, powerful amp.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Are you sure that 4 X 12 is 4 ohms? a lot of them are 8-ohms. If your running an 8 ohm load your probably only running about 200 watts. Your solution may be as simple as an additional cabinet.
  6. nope its 4 ohms. or would adding another 4 ohm cab, to give me a total imped, of 2 ohms which would allow me to get the full 500 watts out of the head. I know it will add some noise but on stage you can on really hear the difference of volume.
  7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    With the amp clipping at 4-5, have you tried lowering your preamp volume? Sounds like you should be able to squeeze more out of what you have.
  8. yeah I got a little more volume by lowering the pre, I have been using the tube pre since the SS makes it clip a lot harsher. but at the end I got the volume about to 6 and it sounded pretty good and only cliping if a hit a low b or e somewhat hard. I still dont feel comfortable see the little red light on alot.
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah i agree with the idea of looking for a good used power amp. try before you buy. i would reccomend getting one that will put out at ;east 4 times into 4 ohms bridged than what your amp puts out into 4 ohms. (or at least 4 times into 4 ohms per side than what your amp puts out at 4 ohms - most SS power amps don't require you to use a load on the 2nd channel)

amps that only bridge into 8 ohms won't let you bridge into that 4 ohm cab, but in most cases they'll be cheaper than an amp that will.

getting an amp that puts out less than 4 times the wattage into a 4 ohm load one way or another won't be a significant improvement over your current amp.
  10. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX

I have the exact same problem. I was looking at just getting a new much more powerful SS amp to replace my BX3000T as the BX3000T doesn't have the headroom or volume through my Peavey 2X15" to compete w/my guitarists. Money got tight so now I'm getting an EP1500 power amp ($250.00 new, 1400 watts bridged @ 4ohms) to run my BX3000T through until I can save enough for either an RBI or SVPCL.

God...I'm gonna have the Behringer stack! :eek:

I'll have to post a picture of it once it's in place and being used. Wish me luck everyone! ;)
  11. where did you get the power amp from, and how do you like it so far. and thats above the power raiting I was looking at but the more head room the better. it seems like alot of people are pumping hige wattages into some 410's but if it sounds good I really do give a rats behind.
  12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd get a used Crest vs-900. It's a big heavy 3 spacer but more than enough watts bridged into 4 ohms for about $200 to $250.
  13. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Get a Carvin DCM1000 or DCM1500 and latte rif you can sell your amop get a BBE BMAX preamp. Great tone and very cheap for the quality youll get...
  14. Do you run your EQ flat? If you are using the smiley face EQ or just boost your lows in general you are going to suck up your headroom. Try running your lows flat and boost mids a bit.

15. me eq goes something like this
    -2.5 2.5 flat -.5 1.5 2.5 -2.5
    40 100 250 625 1.6K 4K 10K

rotory eq highs +6 dp lows +.5db roughly

I have learned all bass can be all bad. start rockin out on that low B and all you hear is a gargle of what could sound like a musical pattern.

when I just got this head my guitarist asked me " you like mids?"