Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, I gotta talk about this

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stu L., Jul 8, 2004.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Tuesday my dinner was interrupted with a scream from my wife. Our 16 month old was asleep beside her, and suddenly sat up, pointing towards the ceiling, in a seizure. Her eyes were glazed over, she was shaking and biting down. She had a fever that day, and her Doc. just said to keep medicine in her and watch it. I called 911, and paramedics were there shortly, and we spent an evening in the hospital, where, thankfully all went well. After an IV for fluids, and one for antibiotics, they determined that it was caused by the fever (I can't remember the name, febric maybe?) spiking to a high point. She was fine all day today, and still doing great as I type. The ER Doc said it won't hurt her, and she's not Epilectic(sp?). Apparently my mom had a few as a kid.

Anyways, this is the second nite where I can't sleep. Partly from fear, partly from nerves. Ya'll, my baby looked right at me, and was completely out of it. The image won't leave my mind. This has messed me up bad right now. Anyone else ever had some kind of trauma with their kids? Any ideas for help?
    -Stu

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Stu,

I have never had an experience quite as terrifying as that with my 3 children, but I can understand your feelings. Our most traumatic ever was when my youngest child threw up an hour after bumping his head on the leg of a coffee table. He was less than a year old and we rushed him to the hospital. We spent nearly the entire night in the hospital waiting for them to run a CAT-scan on him. Fortunately, they found no damage, but I will say it scared the daylights out of us.

I feel for you. My good wishes go with you and your family.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Slight hijacking-

That happens when you get bumped good on the head. When that happens, you know you (or in this case, your child) was close to a concussion, but didn't quite have one. Or a very light one. I emptied my gut when I had my noggin' assaulted rather viciously at a show (my own fault).

Freaky, yes, and reason to see a doctor, but not major. I would have seen a doc, but my mother is a paramedic, so she knew better.

Stubi- I'm on the other end of that. I've scared my parents but good. I have fugues on occasion, and they showed up when I was in 8th grade. I've had a total of maybe 8 episodes since then, with no real trigger we can find (nor could the best neurologic unit in the Pacific Northwest). My mom said about the same thing about the first time it happened: scared her to death. She said the only reason she didn't freak out completely (as in, not even enough to come pick me up and take me to a hospital) was that she had medical training.

These things that happen, they're about as close to the realization of "scared to death," as things come.

4. I have no children, but my nephew is epileptic, and my sis has lived with us for a large part of my life, so I grew up with him. It's a scary deal indeed to witness a seizure. Countless times I've seen him in a bad way that I never cared to. I think the best news you have right now, is that this isn't epilepsy, and shouldn't be a future problem then. I would say more, but it's unneccesary and would probably be the opposite of helping. :confused:

5. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Hey Stu,

The exact same thing happeded to my son when he was 18 months old. He had just finished eating and my wife put him in his crib to go to sleep. She checked on him about 5 minutes later and he was having a seizure. She screamed like I have never heard her scream. I got back there and he stopped shaking, I picked him up and he was limp and not breathing. My wife was calling 911 during this time. Seconds later he started to turn purple. Then everything was in slow motion to me. I shook him a little bit and started to give him mouth to mouth but he started breathing when I just blew on his face.

Paramedics got here, (to this day I don't know how they got in our locked house. My wife and I were both in the back room) and took us to the hospital. The doctor said it was a febril seizure caused by a spiking fever. Though dramatic, the seizure was harmless. (Yea, right, my hair went gray that day!) Turns out the fever was caused by a blood sepsis and my son spent a week in the hospital.

He slept in our bed for about a month after all that so we could watch him closely. It'll take awhile before you can relax. In the future it will be one of those scary parent moments that you will never quite forget but everything will turn out OK. Today my son is a normal healthy as a horse 7 year old.

Hang in there, your nervousness will pass.
    -Dell

6. Stubi, I feel for ya. I got 2 myself, and I worry all the time. I have my off nights as a result. I know they're not made of porcelain, but still....

I'm just glad yer kiddo is ok. A sight like that will resound in you forever, but the outcome will ease the "freak factor" over time.

My baby girl was only 9 months old when I put her down in her playpen so I could wash dishes, and in a short amount of time, she got hold of a piece of plastic (the cat, unbeknownst to me, had ripped the playpen matress) and put it in her mouth...started to choke. Thank God I shut the water off when I did, and thank God even more that an EMT lived right across the hall from me.

7. Hey Stu-

Ya, I kinda did. Except it happened to my brother, it was about 3 years ago, so I was 12 then, and my brother was 14 then. Anyway, we went to visit some relatives back in Massachussetts, the Arlington area and it was REALLY really hot then. It was like 102 or something like that this one day and my grandmas house had no A.C. I was in the kitchen eating breakfast and all of a sudden my brother comes in and drops flat on the floor. He was starring straight without blinking like a soulless person for over 30 seconds, it was like he was stone. Soon, the next day it happened again except it was longer. The doctors said it was like a small Grand Mal siezure or something like that and they had no idea why it happened or if it will happen again. And then my brother told me that he had a siezure the previous he, but he just never told anyone.

Scary shiz man, stuffs like that frightens me... :(

8. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Man that would have to be the most frightning experience on the planet! Gives me chills to hear it and I don't have any kids (yet) I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Hey Stubi19,

My daughter had the same thing happen when she was about 12 months old. It's called a Febrial Siezure (don't know if I spelled that right) and is caused by a high fever. It's the bodies way of trying to cool itself down.

The experience scared the crap out of us. But my wife and I got through it. My daughter is almost 15 now and I still worry when she gets sick and has a fever. The seizure did not hurt her and she never had another one.

You will need to keep an eye on her everytime she gets a cold and be proactive with Baby Tylenol or whatever the doctor tells you to use to keep her temperature down.

I still get concerned when she is sick. I probably always will. It's just a part of being a parent. That experience will just stick with you guys forever.

Get ready because parenthood is full of this stuff.

God Bless

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have twin two yr olds, but they've never had that particular circumstance. We hvae had a few scares that have kept me up a night. -Good to hear everything turned out fine Stu, nothing scares the crap out of you like your kids!

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had a seuizure once when i was 13... passed out because of low blood sugar i think and fell into my bathroom tub, hit my head on the way down.

Freaked my mom out a good deal, but i can imagine itd be scarier with a baby. A high fever is scary with a young one, as it can cause quite some damage if it gets out of control

12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Yup. my daughter slept in bed with us last nite, probably will tonite too. She went limp like your son, but never stopped breathing. I'd still be sky high if she had.

Thanks all for the kind words. I guess time is the best medicine in this case.

13. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Wow, that's too bad man. Stuff like this is really scary. I hope everything turns out OK with your daughter.

Let me say that I'm kinda on the other end of that. My mother is epileptic and my step-father is diabetic. Not a good combination. There was one time in my life where they were both 'out of commission'. My step-father half-drunk from his blood sugar being so low (not sure if anyone else quite understands how horrible this is) and my mother had a seizure from the stress of dealing with it. Which left ME to handle the situation, some of the scariest times of my life. There's nothing quite like seeing someone you love completely out of it and convulsing. It's unreal.

14. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks, and she seems OK now.

My dad is also diabetic, and I've had to deal with that before. He got dehydrated once, and with low blood sugar it was not easy.

What bothers me the most is, like you stated with "unreal" about the convulsing, my wife and I had to *hold* her while it happened. That was possibly the worst part, was that there was nothing we could do. We kept talking to her, snapping fingers, etc. but she just wasn't there.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Wow. I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this. I don't know how I'd deal with something like that - which is a huge part of why I don't have children right now. I worry enough about everything and everyone without them.

Although my experience is nothing like yours, when I was in my teens I asked my girlfriend to take a walk with me. She said she was feeling ill, but I convinced her to go anyhow. I was holding her hand and a minute or two later I felt her jerking my arm down. I didn't know what was happening (I thought she was goofing with me) but she went right down in the street with a seizure. She too was looking right at me, with nothing in her eyes - it was horrifying. Thankfully it lasted less than a minute. It took me a really long time to shake that experience and the look on her face/in her eyes. She was fine afterwards.

16. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Joe, I feel your expierence was very similar to mine. Someone you cared for, loved maybe, had an episode and you had to deal with it. Horrifying is the correct term, as that is exactly what it was.

Thankfully I finally got some sleep last nite, after laying there for two hours :rollno: . My baby slept in her room, but we turned the monitor up, and I jumped everytime I heard her move. Nerves I guess. Thanks all for letting me vent.

17. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Stubi.....
    Glad to hear it's looking OK. I'll be thinking about you.

I have 2 daughters and they have both scared me silly. One runs really high fevers (like me) and when they get bad (104+) all you can do is get in the tub with her and some cold water and pray. HARD....

Don't worry about the lack of sleep. It'll pass...
    Hug her for Uncle Fo' :smug:

18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks. We have had to hit the tub before, but she got so hot so fast is what the Dr's said caused the seizure. You've run 104+ before? Wow, I run constantly below 98 degrees. A high fever for me gets into the 99-100 range. 104, whoa...

19. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Never happended with my two kids before but has with my neice. She ran such a high fever that she had multiple seizures. From what I understand, it's pretty common. Still doesn't help the fact that it's scary as hell. That's one thing I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, problems with their children.

20. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    My absolute worst fear at this point is that it could happen again.