1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok, i have a situation. Please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by felch182, Dec 26, 2006.

1. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    Hey guys,

I have a Mark bass sa450 head, and just recently purchased a ashdown abm410 combo with the evo2 head. Now, i was looking to get a second cab in the near future for bigger gigs that my band plays. The reason why i got the combo was because i got it for $1490 Australian, New. Closing down type of sale thingo. Now my dillemma is this. Do I go and get myself a Mark bass 610 for when we play larger type of gigs or should i just buy another ashdown quad and use that with both.

If I buy the ashdown quad it would be 8ohm, which means i will be losing a considerable amount of power when Im using it with my Mb head. But If i buy the 610 that means that i can only use it fior the mb head because its 4 ohm, I think? The mb 610 wieghs around the same as a ashwown quad, if not less.

What would yuo guys do..

Ps- I want to keep it brand specific as it looks slightly more professional in my opinion.

Cheers guys:hyper:

2. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    My instinct would be to get the 8 Ohm Ashdown cab, because actually, your options are a lot more flexible than you might think:

1) Add it to the ABM combo, thus making best use of the ABM's available power.

2) Use it on its own with the MarkBass head (less power, but still a useful alternative rig).

3) Use it with the MarkBass head and the ABM combo's speakers (remember, unplug the ABM speakers from their combo head and you've got a perfectly good 8 Ohm 4x10 cab). This will give you the full output from the MarkBass. AND... should the MarkBass amp crap out on you mid-gig, you've got the ABM amp as a back-up - just plug your bass and speakers in and you're back in business!

If you bought a 4 Ohm cab, your options would be far more limited. You wouldn't be able to use it in parallel with any of your existing speakers, unless you had an amp that could work into 2 Ohms.

3. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    Hey mate, cheers for the qucik response. I just did a bit of research and the markbass 610 is 6 ohm. You do bring a good point about running 2 ashdown cabs in series. This would be rather loud, but that would mean i pretty much have to sit my mark bass head at home because i hate carrying too much gear to shows. But, on the other hand I hate taking 2 cabs too gigs as it is a massive pain trying to get them into venues. Especially the venues we play at. That is the whole reason i really want the 610. Its light and it will fit in the boot of my station wagon and it will be kick arse, sound wise.:meh:

4. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    I get your drift: well, it sounds like the MarkBass 6x10 would fit the bill then. At 6 Ohms you'll be getting around 375 Watts out of the MB head.

One final thought: Ashdown do a 4 Ohm version of their 4x10 cab. OK, I know that with the MB head it would make a two-brand rig, but you'd be getting the full 500 Watts.

Decisions, decisions...

5. felch182

felch182

May 26, 2005
    Ok guys, Iwent for neither of those as I took the Ashdown back. I found out the Ashown was made in China and part of the new batch that have just come out. The one i had tried in the shop when i bought it was a uk one so i got my money back. I then went and bought and Ampeg 610. I pick it up on Saturday. Im so rapt about that. Thats what i wanted in the first oplace but could never afford it.