OK, I just got my Ampeg SVT-III (3), new post...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok... Please do not 'de-rail' this thread like the last one I made. I'm not really interested in hearing how it is the best amp ever made, or the worst amp ever made.
    ALL that I want is some EQ suggestions because I have never dealt with any EQ (9 band) before.
    Brand new Ampeg SVT-III (3). Suggestions...
    I JUST got my Ampeg SVT-III (3) Pro!! I must say that, it is the s*%t...

But I can't really seem to set the EQ and stuff the way that I want it because I don't know anything about a 9 band EQ (- - - - - - - - -).

Those are the sliders on the EQ I guess. But other than that I have a Bass, Mid, Treble, and Tube gain...

But I don't really know much about EQ, so I was wondering if any of you can give me any examples, or the way you set yours. On ANY head. As long as it has those things or whatever.

The sounds I like/am looking for IF even possible:
    Ryan Martinie, Les Claypool (which uses the SVT-III), Justin Chancellor...

Just post a description or picture!!
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My suggestion is, start with the 9 band EQ off. adjust your rotary tone controls (bass, mid, treble) to your liking.Try the low boost button to see if you like that too. Then if you feel like you need tweek more, turn the 9 band EQ on and move each idividual slider up and down until you hear something you like or don't like. Adjust accordingly. I leave my 9 band EQ off 99% of the time.
  3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Heres a pic... Can anyone explain what each individual slider actually does though?
  4. Congrats on the SVT-3 man:)

Why not try the smiley-face thing? put the EQ settings so it looks like it's smiling at you...

I heard that's good...or something:meh:
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Less is more with eq. Leave it flat and tweak a little from there.

I generally like a small bump in the upper mids (move sliders 6-8 up a little). You'll find that your eq will change according to the characteristics of the room you are playing in. That is good...don't think of it a fixed thing. EQ is for adapting and adjusting.
  6. A few people, including myself, have already given you some good suggestions. Now it is up to you to do some homework.

The ONLY way to learn what each slider does is to move it up and down and listen!

Here is an EQ primer to help get you started:

Every bass sounds different, so the EQ that works for me or someone else probably won't work for you.

Finding your own tone is like painting a picture from an image in your head. I can't tell you how to paint that picture because I can't see what's in your head and I don't have the same tools to work with. You have to take the time to learn how to use the tools at your disposal and create the sound that you seek.
  7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Wow, that website really kicks ass!
    But one thing I don't get is:
    "Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.4."
    What does that mean? Does that mean to move it up 1.4 "notches"? And what does the Q stand for?
    I really dig that site though, it's cool it tells you what (?)kHz and (?)Hz makes what effects/changes to your overall sound.
  8. "Q" is bandwidth measured in octaves. A "Q" of 1.4 means that an EQ boost or cut at that particular frequency will have an affect .7 of an octave both above and below that particular frequency that will gradually taper off at either extreme in a bell shape. This is called a peaking equalizer.

For example, if you have a "Q" of 2, and the adjustment is at 500 Hz, the boost or cut would affect all the frequencies from 250 Hz to 1000 Hz (1 kHz), but the boost or cut would be most extreme at 500 Hz with its least amount of boost or cut being at 250 Hz and 1 kHz.
  9. The article was about EQ in general, and suggested settings for a parametric equalizer.

Generally, a graphic EQ is a set of peak equalizers with a set Q, and like most graphic EQs, on the SVT-3 Pro the Q is not adjustable. Graphic equalizers provide good general tone shaping, but you have to work with the set frequencies and Q used in the design.

A parametric equalizer has adjustable frequency, gain, and Q controls. This allows you to select a specific frequency to boost or cut, adjust the amount of boost or cut, and adjust the width of the area that is affected. Parametric equalizers are very powerful if you know what you are doing....
  10. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Yeah, well... Just got back from jamming, my guitarist's cable ****ing broke in the input jack though... The tip ripped off, but he's gonna get it fixed though.
    But tonight i'll print that sheet out, and like, bring it over there and play with all of the settings...
  11. Congratulations with your SVT-3 Pro! I have one too and I love it.

I use a Warwick Corvette Standard 4 String with stock MEC Single Coils (passive). The pan-knob is at the center position.

My EQ on the SVT-3 Pro

• Bright: ON
    • HI: OFF
    • LOW: OFF
    • Gain: 1-2 o' clock (the peak light always flashes when playing)
    • Bass: 3 o' clock
    • Middle: 3 o' clock
    • Treble: 2-3 o' clock
    • Tube Gain: maximum
    • Master: to taste of course...
    • Graphic EQ: ON, the sliders make some sort of a W shape. Sort of a mid boost, with added bass and slight treble boost.

Anyway, this gives me a very good sound, with more than enough low-end and some nice grit and overdrive. I cut through very well through two guitars and we play heavy stoner-rock-metal (Kyuss...). I like mids a lot when used with my TWO pickups. PUNCH! I also tried out maximizing the middle knob. This gave me even more punch.
    I still need to play more with my amp, try other settings and stuff. I love the sound of Rex of Pantera; ultimate heaviness and the sleaziest grit to my taste. Yummy. Anyways, I'm gonna try to get that Korn sound out of the SVT-3... Hopefully I get there.
  12. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Hey, like, like, isn't the peak light not SUPPOSED to flash? Clipping...?
    That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, but the clipping light always comes on, and that last band that you mentioned... Well :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .
    Thanks, I will try it.
  13. Ignore your graphic EQ if at all possible. Use for adjusting to different room acoustics and remeber that "the low-mids can bogart the whole band." (Watt.) I find a scoop around 100hz clears up most "mud". Great amp BTW...that tube gain plate voltage knob RULES.
  14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    dude, you have an active bass, do like i told you- use the damn -15 DB pad!!!
  15. Clean sounds: set the gain until the peak light flashes when you hit the strings fairly hard (too hard).

Overdrive sounds: set the gain so that the peak light flashes continuously... welcome to the world of overdriven sounds. This is the Ampeg sound.
  16. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Will this damage the amp/cab?
  17. Nope, IMO it doesn't damage the cabinet or speakers. Just check that your RMS of your cab is 'even' with your head.