Ok, I need a few professional opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by modernday, Jul 24, 2004.

1. modernday

Oct 20, 2002
    St. Paul
    So I'm sitting here completley unsatisfied with my new musicmans performance, despite several adjustments. I tried a modulus earlier today and really dug it, I kinda want to trade up for one.

But then I got this crazy idea of just upgrading my current stingray to act more like a modulus; namely flea's. Here's a list of what I'm thinking

1. Moses Graphite replacement neck

2. Badass II Bridge

3. Lane Poor Pickups

4. Aguilar OBP-3 electronics

What do you guys think this would sound like? Any advice? Am I insane and should just save for a modulus?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, if you can finde any Lane Poor pickups...

Who's to say? If it makes it worth it to you, then who are we to tell you it's a "bad idea?" I don't think you'd need a new bridge; the badass only serves as a high mass replacement for the Fender bent plate bridges. the MM bridge is so big and heavy, you'd gain ZERO benifit from a replacement bridge.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Instead of changing a bunch of components at once, why not do the mods gradually so you can better tell the difference?

I'd start with the Moses neck and see how that works. Electronics can be tweaked at the amp and the MM bridge is massive enough that a badass might not improve it all that much.

If you start with the neck and don't like it, Offer to trade the bass and the neck for the modulus you liked. People will be more interested if the electronics are still stock.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would reccomend selling or trying to return the MusicMan if possible and saving up for the Modulus, the alterations you are talking about would decrease the value of the bass and make it very hard to sell.