1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ok, I need a hand here! need suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rorykins, Apr 3, 2009.

1. hello all!
    ok, long story short...

I play passive jazz basses ( mij 70s ri, mij 60s ri) with d'addario rounds (sometimes flats) and my rig is an Ashdown MAG 300 evoIII. i use no effects usually, and have a pretty traditional tone.

i want to know if i can set one or two of my EQ boxes to switch to a really modern tone. i have a ehx Knockout and a yamaha NE-1 EQ.

is it possible, in your opinion to set one of these boxes to a spanky, clear, growly tone, and switch between that and my trad tone? what is the easiest way to do this???

2. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    The term "traditional term" is subjective. What kind of music do you play?

3. i play all kinds of stuff...rock, blues, funk, soul, metal, punk pock, post rock, post fusion, whatever.

im not good at describing tone...think? round? a pit punchy?
    like i said...passive Jazz basses into an Ashdown.

4. i guess im just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for turning a "old school" tone into a "modern" tone with the boxes i have.

5. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I have a rack EQ and a pedal EQ and I use the pedal EQ to kill my treble before the amp all the time. I don't really dig my GEB-7 for growlier more aggressive tones but it works really well for deeper, smoother bass. I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

6. hey mate, i run active Jazz bassess into an Ashdown ABM EvoIII. i have a fairly smooth sound i guess you could call traditional... if you maybe invest in a sansamp that will definitely get you a modern punchy sound bit of growl and all.
    if you dont wanna buy anything then i guess you could make an 'M' with your eq just by making the sliders in the shape of an M

7. ok, thanks.
    does it make sense to put the pedals in the signal chain in this application? or should i go thru the effects loop?