1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok, I need PuP replacements for Basswood

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ericmknight1906, Apr 22, 2010.

1. I have a B105 LTD bass. Inexpensive and nice playability. However, The tone leaves a lot to be desired.
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B105-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=516170

I'm looking for a good set of soapbar pups that work well with basswood bodys. I also need recommendations for a new wiring system. I want to upgrade to a 3 band eq stack, pan and volume. My bass currently has 4 holes.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated. To reiterate, I'm looking for good clarity with highs and lows a beefy tone.

thanks!

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    EMG offers 3 band eq's with selectable mids freq, and selectable treble freq's. Will fit your bass fine. Bass/treble stacked pot, mid/mid select stacked pot, volume, blend. The stock esp ltd 105 pups arent bad but the preamp uses poor choices imo for freq centers. Basswoods rather midrange rich, so the selectable mids can help to tone that down some in the midrange area desired. Or to boost key area of mids for greater crunch factor etc. The emg treble select is via 3 dip switches rather then sweep pot like the mids. EMG hz pups would work well too imo for greater low end crunch and articulation. The actives if your wanting a more standard blackmetal.death metal tone.

Alternately Bartolini pups and preamp could be good choice for a more hifi rather then heavy rock tone.

3. Ok. thanks for your suggestions. I will check out the websites that you mentioned.