OK, I need some advice on pedals to get pleez... (disto vs. chorus)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by trompin64, Sep 10, 2000.

1. trompin64

May 30, 2000
    I am thinking about purchasing a pedal and I have two in mind, the ODB-3 (Boss), and the CEB-3 (Boss) bass pedals. The ODB-3 is a distortion/overdrive pedal (btw, would someone explain the difference to me?) and the CEB-3 is a chorus pedal. I like to play blues, grunge, and rock on my bass. Which pedal would be most effective for the type of music I play? Also, which would sound good with the tiny Crate (15 watt) amp I have and my active custom-made Peavey bass (year- 1998)? I would buy an amp, and I am going to soon (probly a Fender, might ask for advice on that too) but I have a birthday coming up soon and need to know what to ask my parents for (I'm 13, keep that in mind, I'll be 14). So if you could help me decide that would be of great help. Those are the only two pedals I have in mind, so pleez don't suggest auto-wahs or flanger's or any other kind. Thank you very much for your help.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... these are two very different effects. I use only a Boss CEB-3 chorus, but usually for ballads. You can crank 'em up a bit for a Nirvana-like sound, but I don't think it has a lot of applications in rock. SOOOO, I'd say go for the distortion, but play several of them first so you can decide which one will give you the most usable sounds.
  3. phill gray

phill gray

Sep 4, 2000
    from my experience,having been in your shoes before,wait a little bit,save your cash,deal with what you have,if your looking at buying a new amp theres some great ones with with the effects you`re looking for built in.
  4. trompin64

May 30, 2000
    Actually I have been looking at buying a new amp. Any type of kind in specific that you are talking about? (I'm still accepting suggestions about the pedals so feel free to respond to that too)
  5. phill gray

phill gray

Sep 4, 2000
    depends how much you or your parents are looking at spending ...for a combo,Genz Benz has a 1x15 called the GBE 250C with a tube input gain that is great for distortion and its a great sounding amp,about 900$...if youre looking at spending less the SWR workingmans 12 is awesome,about 600$,combine that with the ODB-3(i have one i think its great)about 90$,and you`ll kick!i play fender basses and love them but i don`t like their amps,they sound`small`to me.i thik you`ll find with a chorus pedal you`ll get bored,and if you`re playing with a loud guitarist you won`t hear the effect!i don`t know if you have pawn shops in your area but look there too(take your dad)sometimes theres great deals...lemme know how you do!
  6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I have not heard many good coments on Fender bass amps. Check http://www.bassplayer.com under the gear section for a combo amp review. I have a Carvin. I like it, but I am sure that there are others that are nice too.
  7. trompin64

May 30, 2000
    I have decided on the ODB-3 to ask for my b-day and I was wondering:

1) Do I need a cord to plug into my pedal and then to my amp (i.e. do i need one more cord)

2) What the heck is a daisy chain? And is it only for guitarists or bassists AND guitarists?

4) Can anyone tell me any possible patches to use with the ODB-3? I have heard that it is very hard to get the right sound out of it and I want to be able to get the sound I want right of the bat... I guess tips would work here too... P.S. this is the question I want most answered.

P.P.S. No I didn't missnumber the questions... as you'll notice, question 2 has two parts... therefore the next question begins on 4.
    Thankyou for your time.
  8. 1: Yes you will need another cord.

4: Just tweak the pedal for an hour or so and you will find the sounds.. or not, it might take longer. I have got several boss pedals and they can produce several good tones still to be found, especially when combining them in different order. Good Luck.
  9. trompin64

May 30, 2000
    Ok, can anyone else answer #2 and #3 and #4 (elaborate with settings, please.... thank you all!)
  10. enderbass14

Sep 28, 2000
    I'd like some please. Thank you!
  11. puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000

Playing effects can be as musical as playing an instrument... don't expect to be able to get THE RIGHT SOUND "off the bat" - that's taking the fun out of it!

What I love about effects is tinkering with them and adjusting all the levels and knobs all different ways, and then try different things with my amp and the pedal combined, and then my bass volume and tone and the pedal... you get the picture.

You will lose interest in a stomp box VERY quickly if you don't spend some time with it, experimenting and REALLY understanding what each of the knobs does. It'll also help your playing (believe it or not!) from the simple fact that you're spending that time listening to what is coming out of that amp, and you can never listen hard enough to what you're doing! Don't take those effects for granted- they'll keep on making you happy for years down the road...

A little love from another effects appreciator,

Andy Z
  12. trompin64

May 30, 2000
    Thanks a bunch! I'll take your advice into consideration... my b-day is tomorrow I can't wait to see if they got it or not! Thanks to all!
  13. Dont forget to come back here and tell us how it turned out, if it turned out.
  14. trompin64

May 30, 2000
    They got it, and I like the sound of it very much... I appreciate your help very much, all of you!