Ok...I need some help.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xax712, Feb 9, 2002.

1. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have never really needed many effects for my band's style, and since I started on double bass, I don's know much about this area, because I've focused learning on basses and amps, and set-ups for the most part.
    But now I want to start compiling some effects slowly. If anybody could recoomend some tips and maybe a combination that I should try to start amassing, drop a post. Oh yeah and please put a link to where I can get information and princing for these items thanks.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Effects come in three basic flavors: distortion/compression devices, filters and time-shifting devices. More information that you seek is here:

For bass, I'd recommend keeping things simple; no more than two chained together. A lot of bass effects rely upon their ability to analyze frequency content and signal levels of the instrument; if you put too many things together, they start to get confused.

Filters like the Q-tron, or synth effects can change the sound of the instrument radically. IMO, adding more to them is like putting ketchup on paprika.
  3. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    So can people start giving me ideas on good pedals that they think I should get is more what I'm after and where to find them.
  4. the bassics:
    and overdrive/distortion pedal (boss odb3, hey if you don't like it don't complain to me about it, but it is just really useful.)
    a wah pedal (jim dunlops are always cool)
    a pedal of choice that just sounds cool (maybe a boss phaser or something)
    i find that those are the most commonly used and most useful fx
    for pricing, i would say go to www.musiciansfriend.com for a basic idea of what people are asking.
  5. I like synth effects, you can't go wrong with filters, octaves and fuzz. For basic synth type effects you may want to go with a fuzz, an octaver and a good tweakable envelope filter/ follower (one of the most useful inventions for music.) But since you've been clean for so long you may want to go with a descrete effect to start out on. Chorus, flanger, phaser or a compressor/ limiter to start you out but delay is one of the more useful effects I can think of.

Here are some of my favorites:
    Ehx Bass Micro Synth
    Mutron iii
    Line6 DL4
    Frostwave Funk-a-Duck
    Mutron octave divider
    Mooger Fooger LP filter and ring mod
    Ehx Small Stone
    SansAmp BDDI
    DBX 166a and 160 compressors
    Fatman compressor
    and So many more....
  6. If you were just starting to explore stompboxes, I would have to suggest an envelope filter as an excellent first choice. It is an effect that can compliment your playing immensely and is very much reliant on your technique for a good sound. Any effect can sound like ketchup smothering good food...but like all of them, a little goes a long way. I can get my Mutron III to sound like a chorus/phaser, a subharmonic boost and get ity to do a decent fretless cop. Distortion/fuzz/OD effects can be subtle or overbearing. I use my Prunes and Custard for a sort of octaver by turning it up loud and playing lightly; a classic dub reggae trick. A EV follower on a fretless or stand up is really something...give it a try.
  7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I havent heard many people talk about it on here,but the Boss bass limiter enhance is awesome!It makes the sound so deep and thumpy,i love it!Ya gotta hear it,or better yet,try it!:D
  8. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I made this list of stuff I wanted off of Musician's friend See if it is ok and give any advice on these items. No I can't afford all of them so it would be nice to know which to get first and also if there are some better ones out there please tell me.

Boss CEB-3 Chorus Pedal
    Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive
    Tech-21 BC-1 Bass Compactor
    Dunop 105q Bass Wah Pedal
    Boss FV-300h Volume Pedal
    Tech-21 Sansamp BAss Driver/DI

That's all so please tell me if I should get this stuff or not and if there are other things I should get. I really don't know much about pedals other than Danelectro and Boss pedals that our guitar player has.