1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK i want an 80 gig IPOD..but i don't have a computer..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    So I bought a 2 gig nano and now I love IPODs....So much so I want to get the 80 gig one asap.

The problem is I don't have a computer. I'm in front of one all day at work so I really don't even want/need one at home.

Now I do have friends and family with computers....and as I said one at work.

Would it be possible to buy a 100+ gig external hardrive where I could store all of my music, pics, videos...and feed my ipod from that??? obviously i can store music on an external hard drive but could i store the itunes program so it would be ready to go when i plugged my hard drive into a computer?

also i know the nanos have flash memory and are basically impossible to break...but how durable are the regular ipods? furthermore why don't all ipods have flash memory if it is so durable??

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    You would need some type of operating system to transfer files back and forth. Sorry.

You could buy an inexpensive PC that will be darn close to as cheap as your new iPod. They are cheap and plentiful.

3. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Yup, as jkritchey said you need to have an OS because you would need some sort of program to xfer the files back and forth.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    This is what I would have said. Allow me to add......

Why not do it at work? Are you allowed to store music on your work computer? Better yet, store a few hundred gigs on your company server. IT guys love to browse users network folders and build their own music collection. One of the best things about working for a 1500+ employee agency when I did. :D

-Mike

5. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    OK just to be clear i'm not talking about hooking my ipod up to the external hardrive. i have access to many computers but none that i can load up with music or programs. ideally i want my music and itunes on an external hard drive...which i could plug into various computers and update music and such to my ipod....

6. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    well i would rather not get my work computer too involved. i guess i wouldn't mind having the itunes program on my computer but i would still want to store all the music, vids, and pics on an external drive.

7. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    iTunes is starting to get really picky about moving files around from computer to computer. I don't know if you can do this as freely as you were once able to.

I don't use iTunes, but I believe they have a feature in iTunes to "authorize" a computer. Not sure that it is possible to do what you want.

-Mike

8. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    That could work. There's a plug in for Winamp that allows winamp to see MP3 players and external drives as what they are, storage space. You hook up both, prolly via USB, and Bob's yer uncle.

9. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh come on. If he/she likes the same music as you, your IT guy/gal will LOVE the idea. :D

-Mike

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If you had an iRiver, you could rip CD's straight to the device. That said, IMO a computer is a lot cooler gadget than any .mp3 player. Get a laptop, use that to play your tunes...

11. it would work, all my music is on a 200g harddrive seperate from my comp, I can move the drive between my 2 comps without a problem

12. studentaccount1

studentaccount1

Nov 14, 2006
    +1 on iRiver

13. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    You're best off with Winamp and the Ml_IPod plugin if you're going to take that route - you don't run the risk of formatting every time Itunes starts up on someone's computer.

All IPods don't have flash memory at the moment because well, its more expensive.