ok...I want to hear people talk bad about the DB750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fiveightandten, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Seriously. I've been doing a ton of reading trying to decide on a new amp. I narrowed it down the DB750, Ashdown ABM500, or an SVT. The Ag seems to keep coming out on top with the only drawback being the price.

I've played one (though not in a band situation), and the sound is astonishing. I think i'd just be compromising with an ABM or an SVT due to the price.

So besides the weight, which I don't care about...If you've owned this amp (or played it more than I have), what do you NOT like about it?

Also...I want to hear more about it blowing breakers in venues, any relability issues, anything negative at all. I just want to be as informed as possible before I pull the trigger on one of these.

Thanks guys.

2. I don't think that will happen...I've owned 3 of them as well as a 72' SVT and I don't think there is a better amp in its category...I wish it were as light as my T-Funk but it is what it is...I can't really think of anything else I would change about it other than the weight....I say go for it!

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
  4. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Bad db750! Bad! Bad!:D
  5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It's heavy. It's expensive.
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Like Marley's Ghost said. And TomMixx too.
    I finally got to demo one this last weekend.
    If I didn't already have a Thunderfunk that really really fits me, at way less weight, I wouldn't care about the cost.
    The DB750 is just stupid simple to kill with. Turn it on, point and shoot: Bam! Yer Dead!
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the DB750 is waaaay louder than the other two, and also, half the weight of the SVT.

you can probably find a used DB750 for waaay less than retail if you're patient enough. IMHO, why compromise?
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    there you go.

it can kill.

and that's so wrong.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The DB750 sucks worse than a black hole. But it still beats anything Ampeg makes.
  10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

beautiful :D

Munji, you are still #1 with a bullet.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Your thoughts are deeply appreciated.
  12. Ok, this isn't working out like I expected. Or maybe it is. ;)

I guess the question is now...do I sell one of my Orange heads to finance a 750, or wait until I get my tax return... ;)

13. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    How many Orange heads do you have, where do you live, do you have a dog, and do you lock your doors at night?
  14. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I hate the DB750... is that an amp? :p But seriously, you mentioned the SVT so you might want to also take a look at the new SVT VR and if you are into the hybrid, look at the new 8 pro.

Ampeg Debuts the SVT8Pro Amp Head at NAMM

New Pro Series head features an innovative emulation circuit that
    recreates the signature growl of classic tube-driven SVTs.

Anaheim, Calif.—January 19, 2006, NAMM: Ampeg is using the NAMM show to debut a new head in their SVT Pro Series of bass heads—the SVT8Pro.

The new SVT8Pro combines a vintage SVT preamp, complete with two 12AX7 and two 12AU7 tubes, with a powerful 2500-watt switch-mode Class D amplifier into an amazingly lightweight 23-pound package. As a result, the compact two-rack-space SVT8Pro delivers more power per pound than any other SVT Pro Series head.

Like all SVT Pro Series heads, the SVT8Pro’s front panel controls include Mute, and expanded EQ section for fine-tuning your sound. In addition, the SVT8Pro also features a unique power amp emulation circuit that allows users to dial in the signature “growl” of an overdriven tube amp, but at any volume and with varying intensity.

All Ampeg Pro Series heads also feature variable speed fans, DC supplied tube filaments for noise-free performance, and Neutrik Speakon connectors for quick set up and better conductivity.

Ampeg Announces New SVT-VR Vintage Reissue of Classic 70’s SVT Head

Anaheim, Calif.— January 19, 2006, NAMM: For more than 50 years, Ampeg has been designing products for astute and discriminating musicians around the world. For 2006, Ampeg is reaching into its illustrious past to offer the SVT-VR, a vintage reissue of the highly sought after 1970’s “blue-line” SVT head.

With the new SVT-VR, the Ampeg engineering and product development teams had one primary goal—get as close to the coveted tone of the “classic” SVT as possible. As a result, the preamp stage, power section, and even the rocker switches of the new SVT-VR emulate the exact signal path, tone, and vibe of the original rock ‘n’ roll workhorse.

“The original ‘blue-line’ SVT has a tremendous legacy,” explained Ampeg Product Manager, Tommy Wilson. “It remains one of the most respected and sought-after Ampeg products of all time. For years, artists at all levels have been asking us to re-issue the vintage design. Of course, we didn’t want to take on such an important project until we were absolutely confident we could recreate the tonality of the original.”

So important was their desire to recreate the classic SVT sound, that the Ampeg development team enlisted the help Dennis Kager, a member of the original Ampeg QC team and operator of a New Jersey-based restoration facility specializing in vintage SVT heads.

“Having been affiliated with Ampeg products for nearly four decades, I’m very encouraged by Ampeg’s commitment to the original design and their desire to accurately recreate its sonic signature,” commented Kager. “I’ve long known that there is a tremendous market for this product and I’m honored to have been involved in the development of the vintage reissue.”
    The all tube SVT-VR amplifier is driven by a total of six 6550 power tubes for massive power and tone. In addition to the 70’s style dials and rocker switches, the SVT-VR’s preamp circuitry has been faithfully recreated to match the original. Even the classic blue graphics are there—affirming Ampeg’s commitment to the amp’s legacy.
    The Ampeg SVT-VR is currently available and carries a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $2,799.00.
  15. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    What don't I like about the 750?

The fact that I don't own one... yet!

BTW, if you decide to sell any of the Orange heads, I've got a great place that they can go.
  16. They cut corners, use cheap materials,suck tone and are very noisy, underpowered, rip off other companies.

Basically the are just cheap and nasty....oh.....Aguilar? Sorry I thought we were talking about B*****ger....hahahah:bag:
  17. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Sorry, can't really say anything bad about Aguilar in general, or the DB750 in particular, except the outrageous prices.

But...there isn't anything you can do with a DB750 that I can't do with my SWR Interstellar Overdrive and Power 750 for half the price and one more rack space.
  18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

but i guess this is a thread about bad comments.
  19. They seriously over priced here in Aus.

$4500 RRP (Australian)