Ok...if you had to pick ONE....

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Chrix, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    If you had to pick one bassist, that you felt opitomized the best in what people look for in a bassist, who would that be? I know this is somewhat rediculous of a discussion, since there are TONS to choose from, but eh...give it a shot.

After much thought, I think I'd have to pick Dave Holland. For me, he's the ultimate. Great technician, but not all chops. Great all-around musician; wonderful composer, has a GREAT knowledge of the theory. The consumate sideman as well as a truly effective leader.

So? It's your turn...
  2. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    For sure you're not alone.
  3. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Ray Brown.

Soul coming out his ears...

4. I think I am goin to have to agree with JJ on that with Ray Brown. There is really no one out there hasn't been affected by Daddy Ray in some way if you know it or not. Really made quite a bit of what the bass is today.
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Oh, c'mon, Chrix, that's an impossible (Ray) question to answer. There are too (Ray) many great players to chose (Ray) from. It's an exercise in (Ray) futility.

PS...Dave would be waaay up near the top of my list, too. Most of you who know me will also recall that, when I grow up, I want to be John Clayton.

See?...can't pick just one.
  6. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    At different times of my life it's changed from Stan Clarke to Michael Moore to Dave Holland.

Sometimes by the hour.
  7. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Short-lived, but you gotta throw Scott LaFaro in that list. He just had soooooo much going on. Too bad it ended so early.
  8. koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    no mention of Mingus. Chops but not overbearing, soul and musicality personified. I would definitely have to say Mingus is the most complete bassist ever. Peter Kowald a close second for his sheer joy in playing. There's so many though, Kousevitsky, Stefano Scoddanibbio, Leandre, Henry Grimes, Jimmy Blanton, Slam Stewart, Gary Karr, William Parker on and on, but if I had to pick one, Mingus definietly :D
  9. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Willie Dixon is my pick; although I love all listed and most likely all to come.
  10. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    I would like to add "The Judge" to the list, Milt Hinton was a great bass player, very inspiring to me...of course, if you choose Ray Brown i wont be mad with you ;)