1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok I'll admit I'm a total amp noob!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Dec 11, 2006.

1. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hello all

I have a SWR Redhead combo,the old one 240watt one.How do I check whether I should change the tubes or not?What tubes should I put in?I think she's on her last legs!

Thanks a bunch
    Mike

2. jamesblue

jamesblue

Mar 27, 2005
    Maryland
    You may not need too.
    There's just one pre-amp tube in it and they can last a very long time.
    If it sounds bad to your ears it may be a bad tube, if it's real muddy or crackely sounding.
    A Tesla JJ or Tung Sol 12ax7 would be good replacements.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Why do you think it's about to crap out?

4. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well I'm not sure.There is a loud pop if I dig in or slap but that could be pickup height?Sound like a new tube is needed?

5. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Are your strings bumping the pickup when you hear this noise?

6. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well as I say it seems to happen when I dig in or slap so thats why I think it could be just the bass but I'm not sure

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    How good are you at slapping? Perhaps you might just need more practice. If you're confident that you're playing is up to par (I don't know you so I don't mean any disrespect) then I've found that adjusting the blend a little helps. For instance, on my Carvin which has two pickups, if I adjust the blend so the it's more on the bridge p/u, then it seems to accomodate slapping a little better. OR at least the way I slap, which could be just a total hack-job.

8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    No it's not that.I've been playing for 6 years I think I can slap quite well?!I'll probably just change the tube anyway.Why not!Are all 12ax7's the same or what?

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hey Mike....you could always go buy a new tube and put it in. Jam for a bit, and if you still have the loud pop, you know it is something besides the tube. Tubes are not spendy when you are buying just one. :D

-Mike

10. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Cool I will do that.Any 12ax7 do the same job?