Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, I'll do it. Audioslave, it's good!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I bought the Audioslave CD on Tuesday. If you liked Soundgarden and Rage, you will probably like this CD. The question was, can these two styles be combined? Will it be an amazing work, or a complete train wreck? IMO, it worked. You get a lot of vocal power from Cornell, who is able to adapt his style to the Rage band's music, and you get the ex-Rage guys adapting very well to Cornell's more mellow/retro inspired vocal lines. All in all I think they pulled it off. What do you all think?

2. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I think that they did a great job of pulling it off. I guess that Zack thought the band was all over after he left(frickin' singers!). Now it's "Zack who?" The band still sounds tight, and I think that they did an awesome job of mixing styles with Chris Cornell. The old rage is still in there though; when I first heard them on the radio I knew who it was within the first five seconds of the intro. I like it overall.

3. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i love it, it sounds great. the two syles are mixed rather well i think.

4. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    I like Audioslave, they definetly kept the rage feel. But Chris can't start where Zach left off. Cornell's voice is going out and he's straining way too much. He sounded 10x better in Soundgarden.

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Just got the CD yesterday. I like Rage and Soundgarden. Audioslave gets a thumbs up too. Although I like it, I expected more, especially with my fave Rick Rubin behind the controls. There are some guitar parts that are just so out of place it smacks you in the face--and not in a good way. It's nice to have an actual singer fronting the band. Chris' metal almost AC/DC sound makes you want to put your devil horns in the air. My wife said my parrot approves because he gets in this wierd agitated state "whenever music starts getting evil".

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    That's exactly why I don't like what I've heard from Audioslave. Chris seems to have blown his voice out...

To each his/her own!

7. Meh. Defenetly Rage down under neath, but I've never liked Cornell. I won't be buying their CD.

8. i havent heard any of their songs yet, but I'm a big rage fan and i like soundgarden alot, so I'm definatly buying it.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I bet you really like it.

10. I listened to one track and didn't especially like it. It was weird, I wanted to like it but it couldn't quite click with me. I'm a huge fan of the Rage rythmn and blues (as I call them...yeah, I'm a dork) and it definately sounds like them. I'm not a huge fan of Soundgarden, though the stuff I have heard I've liked, even Chris cornell's solo stuff. Still, something about the recording made it seem less than the sum of its parts. I don't know, maybe I need to give it another listen.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I like it....but....I don't think it's up there with the best of either Rage or Soundgarden! From interviews I have read, I don't give this band a long life......it seems Cornell is a my way or the highway kind of guy.......typical lead songer bullsh$t;)

12. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    i like their album alot. i also heard somewhere that they already have the material for the next album. they must have really clicked to get that much material so fast. i think they'll be around for a while.

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    They have already broken up and re-formed! I guess Cornell is sort of a hard guy to deal with when things are not going his way? I hope your right though.

14. I love it. It's got all the Rage stuff going on, with more complicated riffs IMO, and really good guitar work by Morello, not as many effect showoffs and a lot of actual playing. Timmy C. plays some NASTY lines, and Brad is solid as ever. Cornell's voice sounds like it's full of emotion, rather than being spat out (ala Zack) every syllable has a feeling to it. Maybe I've just been waiting for an actual singer to sing to Rage tunes, but I like this album a lot.

15. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada

according to my sources ( www.mtv.com :D :rolleyes: )

the break-up was over management difficulties. chris wanted his, rage wanted theirs.

i'll find the article.

16. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    what does 'IMO' stand for?

you guys are confusing me using this term a lot.

17. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    couldn't find the article

and IMO means "in my opinion"
    it's in FAQ

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    My info just came from the rumor mill, so I'll go with yours. :)

19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

For me Chris Cornell's voice is so indelibly identified with Soundgarden, that it is hard for me to disconnect it from them and connect it to "Rage/Audioslave.

Now I state that having heard only the sound byte if "Chochise" that MTV stingily allows us to hear at MTV.com. I long to hear more as I was a huge fan of RageATM. Amazon.com and CDNow are not giving any sound samples.

I'm half tempted to buy the CD, but I'm so sick of paying big bucks for CDs that I end up not liking and never listening to. If I could just hear more of it, I might like it enough to buy it.

20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If your a big Rage fan, I think you will be disappointed.......this is Cris Cornell's baby!