Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok I'll make this easy... Fender or Lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonwb, Jul 13, 2005.

1. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    Ok this is it. I'm ordering this 5-string bass Friday. I need your help in deciding which one to get. I can't seem to make up my mind. I play a Fender P-Bass so I'm partial to the Jazz. However, the Laklands are really well-liked. Both are special order:

Fender American Jazz Bass V fretless (sunburst)
    MI America, S-1 Switching System, Single Coil Pickups, 34" scale neck, Graphite Neck Support Rods, Standard Molded Case

Lakland Skyline 55-02 fretless (sunburst or natural)
    MI Korea, Bartolini 3 Band Preamp, Bartolini MM-J Pickups, Panning Pickup Blend Control, 35" scale neck, Graphite Reinforcement Bars, Case extra

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Lakland...

3. Mob

Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    I dont like the fender 5 strings, but fender 4 strings are very nice. Lakelands i give a thumbs down

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I personally like Fenders better but I do like laklands...its a preference thing

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have played some nice Fender Vs but they seem to be inconsistent. Lakland has no such proble. If you don't mind a 35" scale and wide string spacing, Laklands play like a dream.

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    both are great choices,play them again and choose the most you liked and feel good in your hands.

7. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Tough one but I wouldn't be able to go past the jazz's bridge pickup sound on a fretless.

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. That's been my experience as well. Resale value on Laklands will be higher, as well. Only problem is, you may have to wait a while to get one if you're particular about color, etc. If you can play the Fender before you buy to make sure it's a good one (probably 80-90% of the MIAs are good), then you should be OK, and either would be a good choice.

Very different tone (pickups) and feel (scale) for the 55-02 and V, though. Go with whichever does it for you.

9. Lakland.

10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    What string spacing do you prefer? That should be a HUGE factor.

11. Joenok

Joenok

Jul 1, 2005
    Arctic Norway
    Get a Lakland

12. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    you stated two different sounding bass guitars in your question. I own both a Fender MIJ Jazz and a Lakland 55-02. I think the Lakland is a GREAT instrument for the money. I had a hard time spending nearly $1,000 on a non USA made guitar, but it out played Ernie Balls and G&Ls that I tested. Get out there and play some. I had to drive two hours to test some Laklands, but it was worth the trip.

matt

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    All else being equal I would buy the bass made in the USA. By a long shot. Real long.

And FWIW I used to have a great custom jazz with Bartolini pickups, and I greatly preferred the pickups in my '97 USA Jazz V.

** Nothing against Korean made instruments - I own one now which I love and have in the past. The craftsmen and women in Korea do a great job and are very fairly treated compared to places like China and Indonesia.

Is this true? I have a very hard time believing this. Fender resale is legendary.

14. I always liked the Laklands. Get it.

15. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    Yeah that concerns me too. I tend to play using my right hand as a "mute" against the strings while I pick (no slapping here). I wonder if Lakland's wide string spacing at the bridge would affect my ability to play this way?

BTW, thanks for all your comments thus far...

16. jonwb

jonwb

Jul 11, 2005
    Not sure what you mean here... could you clarify? :)

17. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    lakland

18. If it were me a Lakland... of course!!!

19. I love all the posts that say nothing but "lakland" or "get a lakland" or even better "lakEland" without any actual information. I bet 90% of the people who post things like this have never even played one and are just saying that because it isnt a Fender. I mean how much about it do you really know and what makes you think you can give any kind of usful information?

20. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    Here come the flamers.... but....buy an SX and play it for a few months while you decide between the Fender or the Lakland. You will come to a clearer understaning of the Fable about "The Emporer and His New Set of Clothes"