OK, I'll show it...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ZuluFunk, Jan 7, 2006.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    No big deal...just another ES-9...but this one is mine.

Got it from Upton in CT. Great service by the way.

I didn't have any real URB experience so I told them to give it a middle of the road set up.

Strung with Spriocore weich.

I've decided to focus on playing rockabilly and roots. I'm doing a bit of slapping so I upped the bridge a bit. I'm not about to go to gut or nylon strings yet though my fingers are paying the price in blisters from slapping

I know this isn't Rockabillybass.com. I've been spending more time there than here for sure lately.
  2. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Tigard, OR
    ...and I am very envious that you were able to visit Upton in person. On the other side of the continent. I would love to get one of these but have no place here to "try before I buy".

Have fun with that.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Rock on, JZ...after a while, anything that doesn't punish the fingers starts to feel like a toy. BTW, is that "sea foam" on the walls? :)
  4. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    ...and sea oats growing out of the lower bout? :D

Congrats! Nice bass!
  5. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    It's actually called "Froggy Green". That was the decorator's call, but I like it. It's supposed to coordinate with the furniture. It was the "room we don't go in", but we wanted it to be more Caillou-esque.

The bass isn't usually on that side of the room, but I had to move it to make room for the christmas tree, thus blocking the dead-twigs-in-a-basket piece.

I have these painful blisters on my forefinger and middlefingers so I didn't play much this weekend...until I put masking tape on them. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

I haven't played electric in months. That's pretty cool because my music room is in the basement. I convinced my wife to let me keep this upstairs because it matches the decor. I don't feel as much like a troll as when I'm noodling away on my dungeon.
  6. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001

Oh, no...I did this all over the phone. I was actually on a work break with a terrible cell connection. They really took the time to figure out what I wanted and what would be best. They didn't try to sell me up to something else. I was going to get it from Gollihur, who was nearby, but he didn't do the same set ups as Upton at the time (not sure if he does now). I did buy the Ingles stand and K&K Bass Max/Power Pack from him.

I hear these have smaller necks. I don't think I needed that, I'm pretty big. Does that make a big difference?
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You have got to go there sometime! I finally got to go in September when I had a business trip that way, and I'll tell you, it was amazing! I could have stayed there for a week playing all the basses (especially the $40,000 Klotz!). Plus I got a free impromptu slapping lesson from the great Jack Hanlon and got to see some of the prototypes of the Rev Solo, including the one that Gage sued to keep off the market.

BTW Chris, 3 months ago I would have kicked someone in the sack for saying "Anything that doesn't punish the fingers feels like a toy" because I had been using plain guts, but now I'm using Pirastro Eudoxas, which definitely do punish the fingers. And now I'm starting to agree with you. When I get to doing some hard psychobilly slapping, it makes me feel like putting the guts back on, but man, what a killer sound for jazz! Eventually I'll work through the pain, but I'm sure I'll be getting the blood spattered bass once or twice before I do.
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Cool bass, nice purchase. I am playing an M-1 right now, and I am beggining to hate it- not because of the tone really, but because of the feel. The sound is really quite good for a low-priced laminate, even if I would prefer something more resonant. The big issue is the skinny neck. i am heavy set guy with pretty meaty hands, and I go through a series of stages when playing- after playing for about 5 minutes my left hand begins to cramp up and hurt like hell- about 20 minutes into it, my hand just starts to get kinda numb and I stop thinking about it. if I keep playing for awhile after that, then my hadn just feel slike it is ready fall off and i eventually quit. I have tried several basses since, adn those with more traditional fatty necks do not give me the funny hand cramps and are loads more comfortable to play, particularly since my thumb is heavily double-jointed. Some guys like the thin neck, but I will be glad when i can trade off the Engle for something more comfy.
  9. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Holy crud, that sounds terrible. I guess you'd think it's whatever you're used to...for me, I know nothing else. I didn't get the Eng for the neck size or shape though. I haven't really had the need to play for extended periods. I practice for about 20 minutes, take a break to play with the kids, play for some more, walk the dog, you know. Nothing like a real set in a gig would be. I wonder how I'd hold up. There were some gigs I've done on electric where I cramped up from just playing too hard too long.

Yee haw, though. This is fun stuff. My blisters are healed up enough to pratice tonight.
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ha, I remember that time - those were heady days indeed. Enjoy blisters, you'll almost get nostalgic when you don't get 'em anymore.
  11. Getting cramp when you are playing can be really debilitating, and can ruin your enjoyment , ability to play, and enthusiasm for practise.
    I had this problem 20 or so years ago, when I first came down to London from Liverpool, and thought I would only be able to play bass guitar. I went to a bass player called Simon Wolf, and he helped me by putting me on a strict diet of Simandl( the method books and etudes) which really got my hand shape. I had been doing everything wrong, clamping the neck with the thumb, not putting the thumb under the second finger which meant I was overstretching the little finger and getting cramp there; a real mess. After a year I could gig without getting cramp in my left hand. After that I got some lessons with Alec Dankworth who sorted out my right hand for pizzicato.
    The whole point of me relating this is that it now doesn't matter whether I play a very thick of very thin neck, I have several basses all with different neck profiles.
    Try and get a lesson with a Player/teacher . An objective view of your playing from another person may pinpoint any problems you have , and help you sort them out.
    Keep playing; keep practising.
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    (sorry for the thread jacking Zulu.. you know how this place is.. )
    I started taking lessons from Paul When i started out, but lots of issues were coming up like schedule, time money, distance, etc etc and I haven't had any lessons in several months. I have been using Simandl, but I've had a horrible time keeping my bass steady and getting any good fingering pressure when playing arco without using my thumb. I'm almost at my first anniversary and that left hand has really been evil, but the right has come a long well. Come to think of it.. i still ahve a coupel fo his CD's lying around.. doh! (at least he's got some of mien too, lol)
  13. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Zulufunk, I'm loving your enthusiasm.:hyper: That new enthusiasm you get is what I try to keep in eveything in life; even after I get more practical knowledge.

My bass should be here end of next week and I'm hoping to have that same feeling. It's all I can think about right now. I know my BG is gonna be jealous, but oh well.

Sounds like fun!!!
  14. dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    By the way;

I really like Bob G.

I bought:

my Bass: Englehardt EM1

Strings: Pirastro Obligato (OK), Guts (love 'em)

KnK Bass max Pick up

Fishman Bass Pro

Bass Bag

Bass Stand

Adjustable Bridge

and, I plan to buy a Fishman Full Circle Pick up in the future.

I'd like to buy a "New Yorker" Combo someday.

If you like Bob G. say, "HEY!":hyper: :hyper:

That is one of the nice things about a forum like this, you soon find out who is best to deal with.

Walt MI/US
  15. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Besides the blisters...I'm driving the family nuts with all the slappng.
  16. You shouldn't have to resort to violence to discipline your family...:)