Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, I'm convinced, maybe...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Whit Townsend, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Played bluegrass w/ Supernils on my old Kay for years and have always been happy. People tell me I get a good tone. I'm always in demand. But evidently, I don't know much, as consensus on here is they're POS. I like the soft feel, the way they decay nicely w/out having to damp. I like the low tension on my decrepit old bass. I like high action and digging when I need to. I like the price. They're all I've ever used and I've never felt inclined to change. I get plenty of volume and
    a nice round tone can can be heard acoustically for 1/2 mi on a crisp clear night around the campfire.
    I've played steel strings and don't like em. If I played a lot of notey jazz and used low action ok, but thats not my gig. I know other good bluegrass bassists use them and get a good sound, but I've played their basses and steel is not for me. Kills my fingers, esp. the right hand, hate them skinny little G & D strings.
    I've played all gut strings onother old Kays. Good sound, but to me not enough better than the sound I get to justify the expense, maintainace, and tuning hassels.
    But I'm begging to think maybe I'm missing something. Never played any wound gut or composite strings.
    I'm thinking if theres any way my sound could improve, and about all I can come up with is maybe a little more punch on my E and A, esp the E is a little muddy. Moreso when amplified.

So what do yall reccommend I try?
    Its about time for a new set anyway so Id be willing to give a whole new set a go as long as it didn't set me back over 150 or so.
    I wanna keep roughly same diameters and string tension, but a little more articulation on the A&E.
    Something thats bowable would be neat, but not really necc.

Have at it yall.

2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I would try Golden Spirals, which are nylon wound over gut core strings.

They only come in G and D though.

I believe LaBella makes them.

3. HTML:
    I would try Golden Spirals, which are nylon wound over gut core strings.

They only come in G and D though.

I believe LaBella makes them.

What would match well for the E & A then?

4. Try Obligatos. Synthetic core with steel covering. Very bowable, low tension, nice dark tone, easy on the fingers, affordable (as far as bass strings go). They ought to complement your nylon G and D.

5. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I would say silver wound gut E & A strings.

By the way, check out the for sale thread, I think someone is actually selling their G&D Golden spirals.

6. So its Golden Sprial G&D
    (nylon wrap over gut)
    with either Obligato
    (metal wrap over synthetic core)
    or silver over gut
    (brand anyone?)
    for the E and A strings.

Seems that could get expensive, esp the all wound gut combo.

Why not a straight set of Obligatos? I see that All Hail Bob has um for 130 or so. Are the G&As probably to thin for my liking?

7. I misunderstood your original post. I was under the impression that you wanted to keep the nylon G and D. You will find the Obs somewhat thin after being used to clothesline but it just takes a little getting used to. Were I in your shoes I would get an entire set.

One thing about Obligatos. They will stretch like Mr. Fantastic for the first few days. They will require constant tuning and may try to pull your bridge forward. I would definitely NOT put them on before a gig.

8. A little thinner I can prob get used to. Just don't wanna go anywhere near thinness of say a typ steel G&D.

Nils will strech like the devil for a few days also, used to that.

So they will grip bow hair pretty good?
    Not gonna loose any volume am I? Surely not if I don't change anything else on the set up.

9. I have Oblis on now...I like them, but I've never tried gut. I will say that they are not a thick string. They are definitely in the same ballpark as most other steel strings of mid-guage. They're even thinner than the LaBella black tapes I've also used, and they are steel, but with a black nylon tape over the core.

The Oblis have a nice heavy thump, of course it'll depend on your right hand, but if you get some meat on them, the sound really good. I'm sure I'm not wrong when I say they have more sustain than gut. Maybe not like Spiros, but it'll be there if you need some.

I've wanted to try Supernils, but everyone around here says they just go BOIIING. the last thing I need is a rubberband for a string. From what you say, however, I'm now very tempted.

gomez

10. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Try a search on Innovation Super Silver.

11. <<<<I've wanted to try Supernils, but everyone around here says they just go BOIIING. the last thing I need is a rubberband for a string. From what you say, however, I'm now very tempted. >>>

I think it'll depend greatly on your bass. On my old Kay they sound pretty darn good to me and are comfortable as all get out to play. But I have played them on some not as seasoned newer Englehearts and they indeed just go BOIING. If you have a old, well seasoned plywood bass thats not to heavily constructed, chaces are you'll like them ok, esp if you play long periods and dig in hard on mostly 1&5s. They slap real ggod too, altho I don't do much of that at all except for the rare solo. They are definatly not the right choice for steady walking all night tho. Then youd be much better off with steels and low action for sure.

Like the idea of trying a wrapped gut set, but they sure seem expensive. Are they more tuning stable than pure gut?

I'll prob just try a set of Obligatos , and if I really hate the feel of the G&D, got back to clotheslines on those or spring for some Golden Spirals if the wallet will allow.

What about the med Eurosonics? How do they compare as far as diameter and tension?

12. The medium Eurosonics are bigger diameter than your supernyls and very high tension. I have a set of eurosonic ultra lights that are probably a lot closer, maybe a little bit less tension than your nyls. Haven`t tried the lights or these super silvers.

Right now I have plain gut tops and Dominants on my Kay, the best combo I`ve come up with so far, and gut tops/ helicore orchestra on the other bass. I`m not really sure about that combo, but it`s ok.

I tried the supernyls years ago and I`m not sure if anything else is really worth twice or three times the cost. Plus, once you start playing on the gut strings it will be a hard habit to break, and you`ll spend a bunch of money looking for a synthetic that measures up. In my experience anyway. The gut G&D can last a loooong time though.

13. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    :)

I had Obligatos on my new (3 yr old) Englehardt EM1. I liked them, of course I didn't know much difference, only been playing urb for 3 years. BTW I get everything from Bob Gollihur (http://www.urbbob.com/strings.html), good guy. Then, I bought a set of Lenzner Gut Strings from Bob. These are cool baby. I play mostly bluegrass. Some country and old Rock n Roll.

People have commented that I seem to have more fun playing my bass now. The E and A are wrapped, and the D and G are plain. I have a friend who plays Jazz URB, and he likes these strings too.

You can pluck them or slap them. Percussive, snappy. Oooh Baby, she likes it.

You do have to constantly tune your bass, and I don't know how long they will last, but I will probably not go back.

Walt MI/US

14. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
  15. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    if you want big deep warm sound with good articulation on E an A , you must try eudoxa (silver wound), these are expensive of course, but.. worth it!
    D eudoxa is ok too.. but G i'd say is not a good choice for nice bowing. so if you wanna get a nice, sweet sound with bow you should try G oliv instead.
    by the way.. people use eudoxa E, A / oliv D, G setup.. but i'd say maybe eudoxa D is a little better.. better grabs bow especially when you need to play forte, better articulation, as for sound= a bit deeper and stronger..
    oliv's are more stable though.. and less tension..better for gliss..
    wound gut strings have winding problems if you need to reinstal them many times, and you must be careful when you load them.. strings must glide easily over the notch in the top not, and use graphite!
    the price is high, i agree, but these are the best bowable wound gut strings as i know. so if you can't afford it, and you don't like metal strings, i would recomend to try synthetic strings like innovation picato or dominants.. (if you need bowable strings..)

16. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I've done that once, it was a terrible idea. the obligatos wouldn't even stay in tune for two choruses of a jazz standard. I love them though, they couldn't possibly be easier to play, and their tone is, to my ears, fantastic. I get a terrific growl on the E string. However, they may not be what you want for blue grass playing

17. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I am going to second the eurosonics. I bought them from "All Hail" Bob, and they are excellent for bluegrass, country, swing, even jazz. Not Bebop, but trad jazz from the swing era. Plus, they are very, very, very well made! They look and feel substantial. They are very steel-like and at the same time very gut-like...

However, if you are using something that you have liked and never let you down, why switch?