Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok, I'm convinced...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapfish, Nov 5, 2002.

1. slapfish

slapfish

Jul 16, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    for what I can afford, I've decided that Avatar is the best deal out there. I figured I can't really go wrong by at least giving it a shot. So, my next question is this:

I can only afford to get one speaker cab right now. As much as I'd like to pick up a 210 and a 115 to get better B-string response, it's just a little bit out of my price range. I was looking at the 410, but it's 1200 watts RMS. At 4 ohms, the best I can do is get 600W out of my Carvin R600 (bridged into 4 ohms). So are watts still watts regardless, or will the speaker cab sound weak because I'm giving it half of the power it wants? Should I just go with a less "greedy" 8 ohm cab and expand it later, being that the difference is only 100W (500 @8)? I don't want to have to learn the hard way, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I should also mention that I'm going to have some help at most of the clubs we play, whether it be a direct line or a mic in front of the cab. I'm not sure how much of an effect that'll have either way, but perhaps that's a subject for another thread. Ah, hell...it's a slow day at work...:D

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would go for the 4x10". 600 watts is a lot of power. You should do quite well with this setup!

3. So are watts still watts regardless, or will the speaker cab sound weak because I'm giving it half of the power it wants?

- sensitivity determines how lively the speakers will be. The 10" emminence speakers used are designed to be loud and efficient (at the expense of low bass repsonse). Due to the design of the 410 you should get more booty than the 210 which I have.

Remember, doubling the number of watts into the cab will give roughly a 3db gain in output. This is a fair amount, especially at high volumes: but certainly not double the output. You would get more headroom though, which gets eaten up by bass freqs.
    If you play dub reggae or something like that, probably want a 15.

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've got the 4x10 (using a R1000) and I have the 8ohm cab. I am only getting up to 700 watts with this setup and it's more than sufficient and PLENTY of power. I hardly ever turn past "4" cause rest of guys gripe (WAHHHH!!!).
    If you get the 8ohm cab it gives you the option to add something to the bottom end if you want it and be able to use the R600 to it's fullest.
    I don't think you'll have any regrets on the Avatar--I love mine and most posts I read on here are positive ones...

:cool: