Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok, i'm gonna buy a neck... help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zanyman42788, May 10, 2004.

1. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    ok, ive decided to buy a neck off warmoth. (as u all know, i complain about my floppy B ALOT) so i was wondering which neck i should get for my MIM jazz V. Im thinking about the angled one with the 3+2. Keep in mind, all i care about is my B string. But if the rest of my strings would sound crappy with this headstock design... tell me... Also, what would be some advantages to haveing thin or thick fretwire?. Thanx for any suggestions that you guys post.

2. Zanyman42788, it's not the neck on your MIM that's causing the B string to be floppy, it's the scale length of the bass. You need at least 35 to 36 inch for the B string to stabilize better.

I own a Fender J/P 3+2 and the B string is still floppy compared to my Sadowsky Vintage 5. I even use the tapewound Will Lee 2000 Dean Markley strings on that Fender and it just doesn't cut it!

Cheap basses have cheap parts. You'd be better off selling that MIM and buying a better made 5 string. IMHO.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    edit: ^--- you are very wrong on this, by the way. there are plenty of 34" scale basses that have great B strings.

moving to setup

4. Well Jason you are certainately entitled to your opinion.

My experience tells me different.

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    well, i dont want any arguments now.... but i heard that its all about the angles on the strings and peghead. the B is farther away on the warmoth and its angled, so wouldnt that make it tighter? keep in mind in a newbie at this. I persoanlly dont see a problem in my MIM jazz, except for the neck. The body seems ok, and i like the new pickups i put in it, and its pretty much all replaced except for the bridge and pickguard. But yeah, does anybody know of any good places to get a longer scale neck if thats what i need?

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    There are a ton of things that can contribute to 'B String Nirvana', and almost as many opinions!! For the sake of argument, I'll assume a stable neck is a pre-requisite, (it's a factor in almost any stringed instrument).

Treena's point with the scale length has a basis in physics, (if you take two strings of equal diameter but different lengths and tune them to the same pitch, more tension is required to bring the longer string to pitch, resulting in a tighter string), and has a lot of followers... She certainly has the experience to back her opinion... Myself, I believe that it is one factor that can contribute to a taut B...

You mention string angle as pulled by the peghead angle, and this has some who say it is the true path... I've always felt that what happens to the string up past the nut has a minimal effect, as long as the break angle is sufficient to hold the string securely against the bottom of the nut/zero fret... but that's just me and my opinion :)

Myself, I feel that the string itself plays a fairly major role... I have a 34" MIA Fender Jazz V, (I know, I know... this is a cheap to many, but it's great for me!), good components, great sound and a nice feeling bass... I tried several sets of strings with it, along with different gauges of B strings... Depending on the string, the B ran the gamut from floppy to super-taut... Right now, my B's pretty thick, but tight and articulate... Feels Great! The only MIM V I have played so far had a very floppy B string, but it was a .120, so I would expect that... I recommended new strings :D

-robert

7. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    I'm kinda set on warmoth, cuz they can make a neck that has a little warping factor, and because they use high quality wood. Does any body know if they make 35-36 scale lengths? what would happen if i had the angled peg head and a longer scale length? would that be overkill to the rest of the strings and make them too tight to sound like a fender jazz?
    (btw, currently, for the rest of the strings except for maybe the E string a little bit, i like the sound of my bass alot, so keep that in mind too)

8. There is a lot more to this mod than meets the eye. I would strongly recommend you explore other options before you try to install a 35" or 36" scale neck on a bass that was designed as a 34" scale instrument. You will, among other things, change the location of the pickups relative to the harmonics which may result in something other than great tone.

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    From my experience, rllefebv's post seems to be dead-on.

The theory about affecting string tension past the nut is really just that - a theory at this point. We've seen some experimentation past the nut, but the results have hardly proven conclusive at this point.

The scale length does play a role in the floppiness (or lack thereof), as does the string gauge selection, etc.

10. :confused: aren't all sadowsky 5's 34in scale?

ps-
    I found this in the FAQ section of the sadowsky site;

http://www.sadowsky.com/pages/framesets/fs_faq.html

"Adam in Dayton, OH asks: I am in the market for a 5-string bass, and I've heard that 35" scale basses have a better sounding B-string, that also feels less "floppy." Why doesn't Sadowsky Guitars offer a 35" scale on their 5-string basses?

Roger Sadowsky answers: As a builder, it is important for me to always consider these type of sound and feel issues. I have built 35" scale instruments (for R&D) only, but I still prefer a 34" scale for my 5-string basses. Here are some of my observations:
    #1 ... Building a 5-string bass with a 35" scale is not an automatic cure for a "floppy" B-string. I have seen just as many 35" basses with floppy B's as I have 34". Conversely, I have many testimonials from players who have commented that the Sadowsky B, at 34" is tighter than any 35" bass they have played. This does not mean there is no variation from bass-to-bass. Some basses have better B's than others, regardless of the scale.

#2 ... Given point #1, I personally do not prefer the tone of a 35" bass. It changes the character of the bass and does not contribute to the tone that I strive for. I am not saying that 35" basses do not sound good ... but they do sound different. Different enough that they do not sound like a Sadowsky bass to my ears."

11. try a heavier bridge.
    the Roscoe Beck V has a chunky Gotoh bridge.

actually the humble Squier Precison special 5 has a heavy bridge too- and the B string sounds clearer (acoustically, at least- needs proper 5string pickups) than the US Standard and Deluxe Jazz 5's and US Deluxe Precision 5 I've tried

12. Zanyman42788

Zanyman42788 Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    california
    Alot of good ideas. I plan on getting the neck that is 3+2 because i played my friends bass today that had that kind of setup, and his B was really tight, I'm not sure of the scale though. I just have one more question and that is "if i were to replace me neck with another 34, would there be a vast improvement in the B?" cause i mean... i dont wanna get another neck... and have the same problem. so yeah, if any of you ppl out there have experience with 5 string warmoth necks, then pplz tell me if it improved ur bass. also, if u plan on assumeing, thats cool too. heres a link to the neck i'm planning on buying: its the one all the way to the right of all the 5 string models (not the gecko).
    thanxhttp://warmoth.com/common/frames/bassneck.htm

13. The Mock Turtle Regulator, great post but, I never said that my Sadowsky was 35 or 36 inch scale. ( You are correct Sir, it is 34")

I said,
    Now I can see that you may have misinterpreted my post but, I did not say anything about my Sadowsky being 35.........I made a point to say my Sadowsky is tighter than my Fender, thats all.

I have both basses and I play both, my Sadowsky is tighter sounding even at 34' scale then my Fender......as you also pointed out in the FAQ section of Roger's site, there are many reasons players prefer his basses over others!

Thanks for helping me to clear that up some!

I happen to feel that Zanyman42788 can upgrade his Fender all he wants and he still will not be happy with the results! Waste of time and money, IMHO!

[​IMG]

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

I personally have to agree with Treena on this one.

Zanyman, I too own a MIM Fender 5. It has a relatively floppy B string, and I have come to accept this fact. In reality, there is very little you can do to change this. The neck of the bass could make some difference, but the difference has a chance of being very, very, very minimal.

If it were me and I had the cash to buy a new neck, I would either

1.) invest 3 or 4 different kinds of strings instead. I *CAN* say that the different strings on my Fender have DEFINITELY made a difference in the tightness of the B string.

Try Sadowsky stainless and DR Lo-Riders for starters:)

OR

2.) Start saving for a new bass. Sure, you did upgrade your MIM Fender. Honestly, however, upgrading a MIM Fender is like upgrading a Ford Pinto. It gets really good up to a point, but there is a point where it stops. You simply can't expect an extremely tight B from a MIM Fender, Warmoth 3+2 neck or not.

I normally don't like to throw my opinions in on this, but seeing how I own a MIM Fender 5, I would hate to see you waste your money on a new neck, go through the trouble of putting it on and fixing the truss rod, and finally have a result that wasn't what you expected.

15. so would you say your 34in scale sadowsky has a "great B string"?

re. the Warmoth neck, one thing to note is that current warmoth 5string necks have 22frets with no overhang- like Fender US Deluxe 5's.

the MIM Jazz V has 20frets.
    -I wouldn't recommend fitting one- the bridge would have to be moved to get correct intonation- and the tone of thebass will change with the pickups being in a different spot.

16. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Like you I wanted to upgrade the neck of my MIM 5 string Jazz Standard but Warmoth doesn't make one that fits. Our basses are 20 fret, the Warmoth stuff is all 22 fret. Even if you got it to fit, the intonation would be off and you would end up moveing the bridge and the pickup placement would be off - what a mess! Call them at 1-253-845-0403 to get the info. first hand. I spoke to Bill yesterday on the same exact subject.
    I was very disapointed be cause I to had my heart set on on of their fantastic necks too. The only other replacement neck that I found is the Moses Graphite for HUGE bucks. If you find one ask weather it has the stiffening rods in it. If not, stick with what you have, it really not that bad. The Mexican necks are made with good wood, the finger board is Pao Ferro (very nice, adds stiffness too!) and it's actually made in America and finished in Mexico (Take the on line Fender factory tour to better understand the quality of the mexican stuff, it is really pretty good).

Let me know what you find on a neck.

KT...

17. ...Like I said...

18. I would say my Sadowsky V 5 has a tight B string. Which suits my needs just fine!

I really respect your knowledge Mock Turtle and wouldn't want this topic to cause any bad feelings between you and I. Are we okay here? :confused:

Remember my sig line when you get frustrated with my posts, it's only my opinion and you can see what I think of those! :D

[​IMG]
    Treena

19. no problem- just wanted to clarify what the sadowsky B sounds like- I've never played one :)

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned a few Fender 5 strings & the B has always been acceptable. Not the best but definitely not the worst.

A good set up will do wonders on the bass. IMO.

You'd have to check with Warmoth to see if thay make a 5 string neck for the MIM Jazz bass. IIRC, their current Deluxe 5 neck will not fir your bass.