Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, I'm kinda new to Primus...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Flatwound, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    So I bought the Brown Album. No particular reason, I just saw it and picked it up. So does anyone know what basses Les plays on what songs on this album? All the songs seem pretty dark-toned, but I thought I heard his fretless Carl Thompson in there, and some stuff that sounded like upright.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He uses 5 Carl Thompson, and a beat up ol' Kay upright, and I think that's it, I think. He has a couple piccolo basses, a couple 34", and a couple (I.E. Rainbow Bass) 36" basses, all of which have heavy woods. He also uses effects off and on, and just has wierd technique...

3. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Doesnt he have a NS EURB too? I think on the Brown Album he manly used the fretted 6 string and his 4 string with a tremolo (the one hes had since way back in the day)

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    IIRC, he doesn't use the Rainbow bass (fretless) after Sailing the Seas of Cheese. And the NS was used on one song, I think, but it was used with a bow and distortion. I don't remember the song name.

Everything is dark toned because the recording was terrible. It was the only cd they engineered themselves. The songs aren't bad, but the drums and bass sound pretty bad, IMO.

If you buy ONE Primus CD, get Pork Soda. If you get a second, get Sailing the Seas of Cheese.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, funny how tastes differ, I think Pork Soda is their worst album.

Either get Sailing the Seas of Cheese or Frizzle Fry, Primus Mk.I at its best.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, not really differing tastes. You're just wrong. :D

Seriously, Sailing the Seas of Cheese is my favorite, too. Pork Soda was second, but it's less strange than STSOC, and it was Les' fav, too, so it might please the person who isn't used to Primus yet. You can't go wrong with almost any Primus cd, except (IMO) antipop.

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think all of their cd´s are great. I´m listening to Antipop right now:)

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I thought Les only owned 4 and 6 string basses. :confused:

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    FRIZZLE FRY is a must... get it!

10. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I agree

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

And 2 uprights. I'm sure he owns other basses besides his Jazzes and CTs, so who knows.

12. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Has anybody heard sausage(its one of les's side projects.) if not download (if your into that) "riddles are abound tonight" it a great song.
    My favorite primus albums are
    1)Suck On This( I love that version of tommy the cat)
    2)Brown album ( i love The Chastising Of Renegade )
    3)Antipop(Mamma didnt raise no fool is awsome)

13. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    All of his equipment is listed on his website (Primussucks.com). It isn't exactly updated but basically he has four CT's (rainbow bass, fretted 6, fretted 4 w/ whammy bar, fretless four) , 1965 Fender Jazz, 1969 Fender jazz, a dan maloney DB, a pawn shop DB, and an NS 5 string.

14. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I agree that the production values of the Brown Album aren't so hot, but I kind of like it. I'll have to check out some of the other stuff. Thanks again.

15. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    As a huge Primus fan, I kinda fell off with the Borwn album. I didn't like it as much as the earlier stuff. Sausage is very impressive. Prelude to Fear is a great song with a wacky little line. It's much more "normal" than Primus, but offbeat just the same.

The most impressive thing about Primus is seeing them live. all that zany stuff the play is emulated perfectly live. I was a solid fan after seeing Les and the guys live, because it's rare to hear such a pristine sounding album and have it perfeormed to near perfection in front of you.

16. Festus

Festus

Dec 12, 2001
    London, England.
    I know that the Rainbow fretless was played on STSOC, Pork Soda and Tales. The fretted 6 string was introduced on Pork Soda (DMV is a good example)

I like all of their albums except Tales and Brown. Both are weak.

None of this compares to the absolute mayhem that is 'Bob Cock And The Yellow Sock'.
    It is Primus playing Primus songs using acoustic upright, banjo and drums. They totally change the style of the song. I have a booty of a show they did in '93 and they play Jerry Was A Racecar Driver, John The Fisherman, Groundhog's Day and then introduce Angelo Moore from Fishbone and Bob C. Cock (the C. is for Cock) onstage and proceed to bash out a medley consisting of:
    Staying Alive>Don't You Want Me>Afternoon Delight>Rock And Roll All Night>Biko.

One of the funniest gigs I have ever heard in my life!

If I had the right technology, I would Up it somewhere....sorry!!

17. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    he recorded the entire "sausage" record with a $250.00 EKO violin bass.

18. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Geez, it's interesting to hear people discuss which Primus albums are the best and worst. Every single thing I've heard by them is absolute crap. Awful tone, zero songwriting skills and a gymnastic approach to playing (and the Russian jusge gives them a 5, awww). Yeah, man, the world is waiting for masterbating bass hero. Blech, blech, blech.

19. Oh, you're such a darling. The ability to express your personal opinions in a more tactful manner may help to increase their value.

20. Didn't a dead greek guy foresee that?