Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok...Im really scared (RBI related)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oneoftheway, Oct 13, 2005.

1. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    I just got my RBI in the mail...So I pluged it from its output to my trace elliot AH200's preamp in.

And it turned on...nice red light...but there was alot of humming and noise(could have been the AH200(its getting fixed tomorow...no biggie.) caseu that sometimes does that)...

then...the light went out(not sure if it did this when i turned my AH200 off) and it wont turn back on..

Ive screwed it havent I...

2. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    ok there may also now be the chance that i acidentally pluged it in to the effect loop(dont ask how i might have done this...i ahve 4 amps sprawled around on the ground...

I may just be freaking....but i may have also done this...

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Double check your setup before getting too wired.

Is the pedal new? or bought used?

you didn't say that you did anything stupid, so as long as it's new you can get it replaced easily.

If it's used....mmmm..good luck

4. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    nah its from ebay...froma guy on the other side of the world...

it turned on...now it wont...im possitive it was in full working condition when it entered my house...

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    how positive? there are more components in there than just a led to show that the power is on.

Your sounding reluctant? Did you do anything that most people wouldn't have recommended with it.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Does your AH200 have a "courtesy outlet" (AC power outlet) on the back? Did you plug your RBI into that outlet?

If so, it could be that the AH200 outlet is "switched": when the head is powered down, then the outlet is shut off as well. Turn the AH200 back on and see if the RBI comes back on.

I'm hoping that's your problem, anyway. :) If not, all I can say is check fuses (if any). Good luck.

7. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    nah ive plauged it from its output to my preaamp in. I MAY have acidentally plugged its output into the AH200 effects loop. Would have that caused it any harm? It happened fast and i started taking the plugs out quick...so this may have happened.

8. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Nah i definantly havent done anything like that...unfortunatly.

haha thanks though...

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

All of us have freaked out over simple errors before, so I had to ask!

10. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    OK

ive worked something out. If i plug it in how i did before (into the Ah200 preamp in) it hums really bad (i dont even ahve to turn on the RBI, its only plugged in and it still hums).

But

After its been humming for 20 secs or so...it stops...dead quiet...i think this is exactly where the light turned off last time.

11. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    I am such a moron.

I forgot to convert the volts...i ran 240 volts through it.
    I ve spoken to people who say it could have just blown the transformer, but have i totally fried it? Is there a chance that its repairable? There was no smell, smoke or noise...it just turned off.

Will this be a story with no happy ending?

12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    There has to be some kind of protective circuit (or just a fuse -if so, not visible from the outside on mine-). Just ask Tech21, they're very responsive, or take it to a tech.

ANDRUCA

13. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Ok THAT was going to be my first question. If it is easy (probablyy is) do the change for the opperationg voltage and then see what happens i guess...

14. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yep, just check the fuse. If it's blown, theres your problem and you'll be just fine. Chill out and relax. Call Tech21 and just get a new fuse!

15. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    I rang my local amp repairer. He sounds confident but said that for the fuse to blow, their must be something going wrong on the other side. I guess im just going to have to see how it pans out...

Fingers crossed. Thanks heaps guys!

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    What is your tech a moron or did you not tell him you ran doube the nescessary voltage into it? Switch it to where it belongs, and replace the internal fuse. With a little luck, that should get you back on your feet. S

Sorry to hear of your issues, I've been going through an electronics nightmare lately....with both my SVT, and my 52" big screen that bought the farm tonight.

17. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002

Oh sorry bad explaination. He was a a believer that for a fuse to blow, it overloads once it realises that there is a problem inside. Almost like its allready distributed power around the unit before so it to late. A kind of diagram would be like:

power-----fuse--internals

Does that kind of sound right? Or do most fuses blow and act as a fail safe?

Im getting told alot of different things.

18. A fuse is an overcurrent protection (NOT a voltage protector). That means, if the device normally draws 1 amp, they will put a fuse in that will be slightly larger (say 1.25 amps); if the device tries to draw 3 amps when it should only draw 1 amp, the fuse would blow.

Unfortunately, if the switch was set to 120 and you plugged it into 240, it should draw half the current that it normally would, so the fuse wouldn't blow. Unfortunately the internal components would be seeing twice their normal voltage. I hate to be pessimistic but this isn't good.

19. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    yes this is more along the lines of what I am been told...unfortunatly. Would you be able to estimate the damage that could have been done if this is actaully what happened?

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sorry to speak uninformed out of turn.

Also sorry (again) to hear of your flub......bummer.