1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ok, I'm seriously surprised.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jg42, Aug 15, 2012.

1. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    Got my SR1200 today - love everything about it: colour, tone, neck. Nordstrands are awesome too. But, when I play it it doesn't feel as solid as my srt900dx. Don't get me wrong, it feels nice, very playable too, but not as meaty/solid.
    Does it make any sense?

DSC_3325.

2. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    pretty little thing :)
    dude, it's not wierd... i have a 50$ bass that i just love :p

3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Is it lighter?

4. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    Yes, noticeably so - and it's not a neck-thru as opposed to srt900dx.

5. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    Well, none of them is 50, but I have a fretless one which was very sweet even before I upgraded pups and it was more than twice as cheap too (before the upgrade that is) :)

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Lighter wieght does not mean less strong. Lighter weight does however mean it willl hit with less force if dropped then a heavy bass would. Which can certainly decrease chance for damage.

7. Draculea

Draculea

Oct 2, 2011
    Mexico City
    The same happens to me with my 4 string fretless, which is very light, as opposed to my six string fretted which is pretty heavy and has a different tipe of neck shape, hence the feel is quite different. I guess it's just a matter of weight, but not how solid each bass is, they're both bolt on, and rock solid.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    It takes about 30 days for new habits to set in. Keep playing it and soon it will be "normal".

9. They're REALLY light basses. Like, insanely so. Next to my 12lb Brubaker it felt like a toy but it sure as hell didn't sound like one :D. Those things have tone for DAYS! Probably the best production basses Ibanez has ever made but I withhold my judgement until I've played their new Prestige line.

10. Hmmm...just play it for a week or so.
    . 'Solid?' What does that actually mean, to you? I mean, really think- what, exactly, does that mean?

Hey- if it stays in tune, plays well, sounds great- what else is there, really?
    It's just different. I think.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That's a nice bass you got there. I didn't know that the Ibanez sr1200 is equipped with norstrand pick-ups. I understand what you're saying. from your perspective, your newly owned Ibanez sr1200 isn't as sturdy and built solid as your Ibanez srt900dx. but despite that, the Ibanez sr1200 is a totally awesome bass guitar. congrads on your purchase.

12. this is one of the best looking Ibanez basses ever. Nice one!

generalduncan likes this.
  13. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    well, maybe it has to do with string tension - seems to be less than on srt900dx and sustain seems to be shorter, not sure maybe even Nordstrands give more punchy and less "compressed" sound with more attack which leads to perception of less sustain...

Overall I'm happy with it though, just thought that I'd share the difference while it's fresh in my mind :)

14. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    Thank you! no, not exactly physical difference I was referring to - more like perceived sound (but then again the strings are different, so that could mean a huge difference after all)

15. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    thx! :)